Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: security

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    security

    HI

    I'm new to knoppix/linux. Using Windows, I always ran Zonealarm firewall. With Knoppix, I feel "exposed" because there is no firewall. On the GRC Shields Up page It says I fail the Stealth test, but all ports show up as closed. Zone Alarm with Windows shows totally stealth.

    I have 3 questions-

    1-Is linux secure enough to use without a firewall?

    2-Can I install a firewall (or other software) when running knoppix live from cd?

    3-I understand the obvious security of not writing to the hard drive-only to the ramdisk, which disappears after rebooting. I've even run knoppix successfully with hard drive physically disconnected-so no chance of reading from it either. But does anyone know what kind of things hackers could do through your computer during a session-or is knoppix/linux not vulnerable like windows?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: security

    --If running from the CD, you should have few worries but you can always run iptables:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ight=basicprot

    (Go with the second post, the 1st one is outdated.) Check out the reference links at the bottom; you should have a basic understanding of iptables before implementing.

    --Don't forget to chmod +x the script, and (obviously) run it as root.

    --To see what ports are open on your system, ' nmap localhost '.

    Quote Originally Posted by kipizit
    HI

    I'm new to knoppix/linux. Using Windows, I always ran Zonealarm firewall. With Knoppix, I feel "exposed" because there is no firewall. On the GRC Shields Up page It says I fail the Stealth test, but all ports show up as closed. Zone Alarm with Windows shows totally stealth.

    I have 3 questions-

    1-Is linux secure enough to use without a firewall?

    2-Can I install a firewall (or other software) when running knoppix live from cd?

    3-I understand the obvious security of not writing to the hard drive-only to the ramdisk, which disappears after rebooting. I've even run knoppix successfully with hard drive physically disconnected-so no chance of reading from it either. But does anyone know what kind of things hackers could do through your computer during a session-or is knoppix/linux not vulnerable like windows?

Similar Threads

  1. Security
    By eadz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
  2. Hdd Security
    By NetKatz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
  3. security
    By RNK in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
  4. Security
    By pierrevn in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
  5. Security and apt-get
    By Edix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73