-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: security
--If running from the CD, you should have few worries but you can always run iptables:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ight=basicprot
(Go with the second post, the 1st one is outdated.) Check out the reference links at the bottom; you should have a basic understanding of iptables before implementing.
--Don't forget to chmod +x the script, and (obviously) run it as root.
--To see what ports are open on your system, ' nmap localhost '.

Originally Posted by
kipizit
HI
I'm new to knoppix/linux. Using Windows, I always ran Zonealarm firewall. With Knoppix, I feel "exposed" because there is no firewall. On the GRC Shields Up page It says I fail the Stealth test, but all ports show up as closed. Zone Alarm with Windows shows totally stealth.
I have 3 questions-
1-Is linux secure enough to use without a firewall?
2-Can I install a firewall (or other software) when running knoppix live from cd?
3-I understand the obvious security of not writing to the hard drive-only to the ramdisk, which disappears after rebooting. I've even run knoppix successfully with hard drive physically disconnected-so no chance of reading from it either. But does anyone know what kind of things hackers could do through your computer during a session-or is knoppix/linux not vulnerable like windows?
Similar Threads
-
By eadz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
-
By NetKatz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
-
By RNK in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 13
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
-
By pierrevn in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
-
By Edix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99