Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 3com 3c900b-TPO NIC doesn't work

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11

    3com 3c900b-TPO NIC doesn't work

    hi,
    I just installed knoppix and I'm quite happy the X server works 'cause I wasn't able to make it run with a normal debian installation but now I have another problem. My 3c900b-TPO network card isn't recognized by knoppix (I think it's something with the kernel because when I installed Debian with the 2.4 kernel it didn't work neither (with the 2.2 kernel it worked immediatly...)).
    I found a driver on the net that should be able to fix this problem but I can't get it installed. (http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html)
    I had to make some changes because of depricated code in the source something about holloc.h (halloc.h??) and slab.h or something like that. The compiling of the driver went fine but when I want to install it I get this message:
    Code:
    root@frost:~/3com/3c90x-102# insmod /root/3com/3c90x-102/3c90x.o media_select=7
    Warning: loading /root/3com/3c90x-102/3c90x.o will taint the kernel: no license
      See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
    /root/3com/3c90x-102/3c90x.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    does someone know how to fix this...I really want to go on the net with my knoppix installation...

    thx,
    Frost

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I had the same problem with a 3c509 NIC.
    I found out that it was solved by typing
    Code:
    modprobe 3c509
    in the rootshell (K -> knoppix -> rootshell)
    I would suggest you try
    Code:
    modprobe 3c900
    Succes

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11
    I think I tried that already. I got an error like no such file or something like that. I'm now not able to boot in Linux to try it 'cause when I boot in it I can't resist trying everything and I have exams tomorrow . I'll try it again tomorrow, but like I said I think I already did that.
    And why should an old kernel support my card without any problems and a new kernel not? Verry strange...but anyway...I'm back to my books...
    c ya,
    Frost

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    Well, every module needs space on the CD. If it's not in the kernel it takes a littlebit less space. In Knoppix space is limited. So perhaps for that reason.

Similar Threads

  1. 3COM 3c902B-EMB-WNM
    By Jken in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
  2. Help with 3com 3c905c-tx nic
    By raduen in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
  3. 3Com 3C940
    By howax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:51 PM
  4. 3com 3ccfe575bt card?
    By bahamut in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 11:40 PM
  5. 3com 812 router
    By carmine65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$149.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH

$225.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99