-
Can't get screen res working the same after HD install...
Hi, all.
Once, again, I bow to the minds who congregate here, in hopes that someone can help with an odd problem with X on a laptop...
I have a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT which I used to run RH8 & 9 on, as well as FreeBSD 4.7... and I never had a problem running X/KDE with either of those distros.
The video chipset is a CT65555, as auto-detected by Knoppix when running from CD. When booting from the 3.3 (2003-09-24) disc, the resolution is improperly detected as 1024x768x16: the actual resolution of the LCD is 800x600 (though the external VGA can probably handle higher). The system boots fine but only shows me two-thirds of the screen. Same with an HD install (which I had to perform almost blindly).
When I start from the CD, if I use the "fb800x600" cheatcode, the system works perfectly, and utilizes the correct screensize in X/KDE.
On the HD install, I've changed the /etc/lilo.conf file to have the line "vga=791" read "vga=789", and that gets the console working perfectly. But, when trying to start X, it gives a few blinks between console and black screen, and errors out. Trying to "startx" gives me:
Code:
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): Mode init failed
I've added an append in lilo.conf: "fb800x600", but get the same error.
I've mounted /dev/hda1 (boot/root partition) and copied both of the XF86Config files (-4 as well) from the running boot of the CD to the HD mount, so they are the same, and I still cannot start X from the HD.
Any ideas on what I may be doing differently on the HD? I've just installed this about three days ago, and haven't even put the machine on the network, so no packages have been changed/added/updated yet.
Thanks for any help!
Dan
-
Senior Member
registered user
On my Toshiba 490CDT (different chipset) you have to use the screen=800x600 cheat code. Also after install for some reason it uses the wrong driver. Make sure the correct driver is loaded and your resolution is set in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Worse come to worse you can boot the cd with the screen=800x600 cheat code and simply copy that XF86Config-4 file onto your installation.
-
That won't work...
Thanks for answering back, rickenbacherus... Bass player? 
Using the "knoppix screen=800x600" cheatcode on my 3.3 CD yields the same problem: it's like I have a "virtual screen" which wants to scroll around to get all of a 1024x768 virtual image, but with no way to scroll around...
Here's an example (who knew I'd have to do ASCII art in this day and age?!):
Code:
|--------------------------|--------|
| |--------|
| |--------|
| |--------|
| |--------|
| |--------|
| I can only |-----<------- X is trying
| see this much |--------| to show this
| (on 800x600 LCD) |--------| much (1024x768)
| |--------|
| |--------|
| |--------|
|--------------------------|--------|
|-----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------|
Now, if I use "fb800x600" instead of "knoppix screen=800x600", everything works fine, but ONLY from the CD-ROM boot. When everything's working then, I copy all XF86Config files from my working CD boot to my hard drive, but things stop working then.
That's my real problem; I can't pinpoint what is different from the working CD boot to the HD boot (with append=fb800x600 in /etc/lilo.conf [and yes, I ran lilo to make changes stick]).
I really liked the way Knoppix installed to my old testing tower (Celeron 366 with an SiS video card), so I was very eager to get this old Toshiba working with it, but I may have to hold off for now, until I can get this figured out.
Thanks again! Anyone else?
Dan
Similar Threads
-
By mco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:27 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
-
By ryan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 12:52 AM
-
By wfb in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed
$245.57