Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't get screen res working the same after HD install...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lowell, MI, USA
    Posts
    4

    Can't get screen res working the same after HD install...

    Hi, all.

    Once, again, I bow to the minds who congregate here, in hopes that someone can help with an odd problem with X on a laptop...

    I have a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT which I used to run RH8 & 9 on, as well as FreeBSD 4.7... and I never had a problem running X/KDE with either of those distros.

    The video chipset is a CT65555, as auto-detected by Knoppix when running from CD. When booting from the 3.3 (2003-09-24) disc, the resolution is improperly detected as 1024x768x16: the actual resolution of the LCD is 800x600 (though the external VGA can probably handle higher). The system boots fine but only shows me two-thirds of the screen. Same with an HD install (which I had to perform almost blindly).

    When I start from the CD, if I use the "fb800x600" cheatcode, the system works perfectly, and utilizes the correct screensize in X/KDE.

    On the HD install, I've changed the /etc/lilo.conf file to have the line "vga=791" read "vga=789", and that gets the console working perfectly. But, when trying to start X, it gives a few blinks between console and black screen, and errors out. Trying to "startx" gives me:
    Code:
    (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
    (EE) FBDEV(0): Mode init failed
    I've added an append in lilo.conf: "fb800x600", but get the same error.

    I've mounted /dev/hda1 (boot/root partition) and copied both of the XF86Config files (-4 as well) from the running boot of the CD to the HD mount, so they are the same, and I still cannot start X from the HD.

    Any ideas on what I may be doing differently on the HD? I've just installed this about three days ago, and haven't even put the machine on the network, so no packages have been changed/added/updated yet.

    Thanks for any help!
    Dan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    On my Toshiba 490CDT (different chipset) you have to use the screen=800x600 cheat code. Also after install for some reason it uses the wrong driver. Make sure the correct driver is loaded and your resolution is set in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Worse come to worse you can boot the cd with the screen=800x600 cheat code and simply copy that XF86Config-4 file onto your installation.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lowell, MI, USA
    Posts
    4

    That won't work...

    Thanks for answering back, rickenbacherus... Bass player?

    Using the "knoppix screen=800x600" cheatcode on my 3.3 CD yields the same problem: it's like I have a "virtual screen" which wants to scroll around to get all of a 1024x768 virtual image, but with no way to scroll around...

    Here's an example (who knew I'd have to do ASCII art in this day and age?!):
    Code:
    |--------------------------|--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |       I can only         |-----<------- X is trying
    |       see this much      |--------|     to show this
    |       (on 800x600 LCD)   |--------|     much (1024x768)
    |                          |--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |                          |--------|
    |--------------------------|--------|
    |-----------------------------------|
    |-----------------------------------|
    |-----------------------------------|
    |-----------------------------------|
    Now, if I use "fb800x600" instead of "knoppix screen=800x600", everything works fine, but ONLY from the CD-ROM boot. When everything's working then, I copy all XF86Config files from my working CD boot to my hard drive, but things stop working then.

    That's my real problem; I can't pinpoint what is different from the working CD boot to the HD boot (with append=fb800x600 in /etc/lilo.conf [and yes, I ran lilo to make changes stick]).

    I really liked the way Knoppix installed to my old testing tower (Celeron 366 with an SiS video card), so I was very eager to get this old Toshiba working with it, but I may have to hold off for now, until I can get this figured out.

    Thanks again! Anyone else?
    Dan

Similar Threads

  1. Mouse not working in X11 after install!
    By mco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:27 AM
  2. apt-get install not working....
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
  3. Inspiron 8500 WIDE SCREEN working!
    By Joel in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
  4. Modem Working from cd but not HD install
    By ryan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 12:52 AM
  5. Screen cheat code not working
    By wfb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-14700K Processor (BRAND NEW) picture

Intel Core i7-14700K Processor (BRAND NEW)

$330.00