Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix at School

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix at School

    First off, sorry if this is in a FAQ, but I didn't see one.

    At school, we have computers installed with Windows. I want to use Knoppix on these computers. Knoppix boots and works fine, but I have no access to the internet. There is no DHCP for the network.

    I tried copying the information from 'ipconfig /all' in Windows and typing that into Knoppix's networking script when it asks for the networking information, but it asks for things ipconfig didn't tell me. So my question is, how can I get online with Knoppix just by being on a configured Windows system that I know nothing about?

    It's a Novell network, but I don't think that has anything to do with the internet? Just shares?

    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    I can't recall any numbers required when running netcardconfig in Knoppix that are not provided by ipconfig /all in Windows. Can you remind me?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer
    I can't recall any numbers required when running netcardconfig in Knoppix that are not provided by ipconfig /all in Windows. Can you remind me?
    Knoppix asks for:

    Use DHCP?
    Please enter IP address for eth0:
    Please enter Network Mask for eth0:
    Please enter Broadcast Address for eth0:
    Please enter Default Gateway:
    Please enter Nameservers:

    Windows (98, by the way) ipconfig /all gives me:

    Code:
    Windows 98 IP Configuration
    Hostname ....: 213-31.stbernard.k12.la.
    DNS servers ...: 10.1.0.1
    Node Type...: Broadcast
    NetBIOS Scope ID....: 
    IP Routing Enabled...: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled...: No
    NetBIOS Resolutin Uses DNS: Yes
    
    0 Ethernet adapter:
    
    Description...: NDIS 4.0 driver
    
    Physical Address...: 00-40-F4-7F-4B-8A
    DHCP Enabled...: No
    IP Address...: 10.8.213.31
    Subnet Mask...: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway...: 10.8.0.1
    Primary WINS Server...:
    Secondary WINS Server...:
    Lease Obtained...:
    Lease Expires....:
    Which information matches with which?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Well... nevermind. I got it to work, by matching different things.

Similar Threads

  1. School Use?
    By toxic in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM
  2. After school program using Knoppix
    By msouden in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
  3. Passing School Filters?
    By Me1324 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
  4. Help connecting to a school LAN network
    By rasheemo in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 03:51 PM
  5. knoppix in school
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Lot of 9 Yealink MP54-Teams Smart Business VoIP IP Phones Microsoft Teams picture

Lot of 9 Yealink MP54-Teams Smart Business VoIP IP Phones Microsoft Teams

$530.00



UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone picture

UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone

$55.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Cisco CP-7841-K9  4-Line Gigabit VoIP IP Phone PoE Office Desk 3.5

Cisco CP-7841-K9 4-Line Gigabit VoIP IP Phone PoE Office Desk 3.5" Display NEW

$89.99



Polycom Poly ObiHai OBI302 VOIP Adapter FREE S/H picture

Polycom Poly ObiHai OBI302 VOIP Adapter FREE S/H

$29.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99