Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Change startup options

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    Change startup options

    During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?

    Thanks [/b]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Delft
    Posts
    2

    same problem

    dear, I have the same problem but just the other way around. I installed Knoppix on a low-fat laptop computer without the graphical model. I changed the settings in "knoppix-autoconfig.ch" (etc/bin from the root) to startup in iceWM instead of KDE (my computer cannot cope with KDE (P-celeron 266MHz, 32 Mb). Now i want to login in the graphical mode, becaust my screen doesn't display the whole text-mode and i have to login without seeing the textline.

    Can somebody help us... how doe a newbie have to change the startup settings from text2graphical mode or the other way around!

    gre Bas

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Change startup options

    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters13
    During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?

    Thanks [/b]
    apt-get remove kdm and you should get to login to the console everytime and you may be able to instead dpkg-reconfigure kdm and check to see if there is a question in the setup to not start the display manager on boot I'm not sure about this one though can't remember if there is such a question.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    You can edit (as root) /etc/inittab and set the initdefault level to 2 instead of 5. You might also have to delete any /etc/rc2.d/S*kdm file.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    For booting the live CD, you can alter the default cheatcodes prior to buring by using a program called knoppix-customize, which is available for windows and linux.

    For hdd-installs, I'd edit /etc/inittab and change default runlevel to 2, then select the WM to start with the command startx by creating a /home/knoppix/.xinitrc file.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    thanks

    Thanks for all of the help. It's really appreciated!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Change default boot options
    By scanman20 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
  2. 3.4 Boot options?
    By metalfan in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
  3. change startup: iceWM instead of KDE
    By bafl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 11:32 AM
  4. How to change the KDE startup logo? And the three bookmarks.
    By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM
  5. Change LC_MESSAGES variable and change user name name
    By Guest in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras picture

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras

$124.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC Getting Started Manual With Lot of 8 Floppy Discs picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC Getting Started Manual With Lot of 8 Floppy Discs

$24.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00