Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Change startup options

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    Change startup options

    During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?

    Thanks [/b]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Delft
    Posts
    2

    same problem

    dear, I have the same problem but just the other way around. I installed Knoppix on a low-fat laptop computer without the graphical model. I changed the settings in "knoppix-autoconfig.ch" (etc/bin from the root) to startup in iceWM instead of KDE (my computer cannot cope with KDE (P-celeron 266MHz, 32 Mb). Now i want to login in the graphical mode, becaust my screen doesn't display the whole text-mode and i have to login without seeing the textline.

    Can somebody help us... how doe a newbie have to change the startup settings from text2graphical mode or the other way around!

    gre Bas

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Change startup options

    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters13
    During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?

    Thanks [/b]
    apt-get remove kdm and you should get to login to the console everytime and you may be able to instead dpkg-reconfigure kdm and check to see if there is a question in the setup to not start the display manager on boot I'm not sure about this one though can't remember if there is such a question.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    You can edit (as root) /etc/inittab and set the initdefault level to 2 instead of 5. You might also have to delete any /etc/rc2.d/S*kdm file.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    For booting the live CD, you can alter the default cheatcodes prior to buring by using a program called knoppix-customize, which is available for windows and linux.

    For hdd-installs, I'd edit /etc/inittab and change default runlevel to 2, then select the WM to start with the command startx by creating a /home/knoppix/.xinitrc file.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    thanks

    Thanks for all of the help. It's really appreciated!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Change default boot options
    By scanman20 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
  2. 3.4 Boot options?
    By metalfan in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
  3. change startup: iceWM instead of KDE
    By bafl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 11:32 AM
  4. How to change the KDE startup logo? And the three bookmarks.
    By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM
  5. Change LC_MESSAGES variable and change user name name
    By Guest in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64GB PC4-2666V-R 2S2Rx4 DDR4 ECC REG RDIMM - M393A8K40B22-CWD6Y picture

Samsung 64GB PC4-2666V-R 2S2Rx4 DDR4 ECC REG RDIMM - M393A8K40B22-CWD6Y

$270.00



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99