-
Change startup options
During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?
Thanks
[/b]
-
same problem
dear, I have the same problem but just the other way around. I installed Knoppix on a low-fat laptop computer without the graphical model. I changed the settings in "knoppix-autoconfig.ch" (etc/bin from the root) to startup in iceWM instead of KDE (my computer cannot cope with KDE (P-celeron 266MHz, 32 Mb). Now i want to login in the graphical mode, becaust my screen doesn't display the whole text-mode and i have to login without seeing the textline.
Can somebody help us... how doe a newbie have to change the startup settings from text2graphical mode or the other way around!
gre Bas
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Change startup options

Originally Posted by
mpeters13
During the knoppix isntall, I agreed to have xwindows start everytime i boot my pc. Because of problems I'm having wtih my graphics when xwindows boots from startup, I've decided I just want the machine to boot straight to the console. Then, I can type "startx" whenever I want a GUI. How can I change my current settings so that I can begin logging in and out w/ the console and not xwindows?
Thanks

[/b]
apt-get remove kdm and you should get to login to the console everytime and you may be able to instead dpkg-reconfigure kdm and check to see if there is a question in the setup to not start the display manager on boot I'm not sure about this one though can't remember if there is such a question.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can edit (as root) /etc/inittab and set the initdefault level to 2 instead of 5. You might also have to delete any /etc/rc2.d/S*kdm file.
-
Senior Member
registered user
For booting the live CD, you can alter the default cheatcodes prior to buring by using a program called knoppix-customize, which is available for windows and linux.
For hdd-installs, I'd edit /etc/inittab and change default runlevel to 2, then select the WM to start with the command startx by creating a /home/knoppix/.xinitrc file.
-
thanks
Thanks for all of the help. It's really appreciated!!!
Similar Threads
-
By scanman20 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
-
By metalfan in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
-
By bafl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-10-2004, 11:32 AM
-
By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM
-
By Guest in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Used Seagate SkyHawk AI 12TB 3.5" SATA 7200RPM ST12000VE001
$279.00

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59