Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Router with Knoppix V3.3

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22

    Router with Knoppix V3.3

    Hi,
    at the moment I have Knoppix V3.3 - german version. I would like to use it as a router for local network (192.168.0.2,3, ...)

    Is there a tutorial for Knoppix available? Maybe a finished Shellscript?

    Thx.

    Regards,
    Nils

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    If you want to dediacte a machine to function as a router personally I would recommend using a distro that was built with that specific purpose in mind. Not that Knoppix can't/won't work but I think you'd save yourself alot of headache especially considering the fact that many of these distros have a web based configuration just like your average but far less reliable and secure Linksys or DLink (random brand names) router. I myself use Coyote Linux which also has a web based configurator but is a floppy based distro. m0n0wall is a very promising distro that I have yet to explore any further as my router cannot boot from cd. It does appear however that alot of effort was put into this distro.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am using Knoppix from CD as my firewall, and I don't think it's overkill. Since ip routing does not utilize the disk after it is stored in memory, I also use the machine to do other things (watch TV, burn cd's, print docs, etc.) Makes a great wireless access point to if you can put your wireless card in AD HOC mode and configure the routing for it.

    All you need to do is to configure your machine with two network interfaces and configure NAT (IP Masquerading) as noted on the following link:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1863#8694

    Good luck

    Paul

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Yo Rick..,

    Speaking about routerstuff...

    I'd like to convert an old laptop and use both slots to create a portable router/firewall with it. And yes with the livecd procedure from knoppix
    so that I wouldn't have to use any harddisk.
    This could then be used for a whole bunch of purposes.
    (making laptops with defective screens active again for example ...)

    Any idea if this exists already ? (I've already googled around ...)

    Greetzzzz,

Similar Threads

  1. edit MTU for Router Knoppix 3.8.1
    By nuub in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
  2. Knoppix als router, mit samba und X
    By egerber in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 05:50 PM
  3. knoppix... gateway or router?
    By ghostblaze in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 11:58 PM
  4. Knoppix as a Hub/Router/Switch
    By shockerspaz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. use knoppix for a router?
    By Leg0z in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 10:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i5-11400F 6-Core 2.6 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-11400F 6-Core 2.6 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor

$85.00



(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B) picture

(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)

$575.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor picture

USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor

$250.00