Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KDE problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    KDE problems

    Hello.

    I am trying to create a version of knoppix cd that contains my program. Everything works (mostly) with the exception of kde. Whenever I boot from the new cd it says that there is not enough memory for kde or configuration settings are wrong.

    I never touched those config settings and that computer has a gig of ram (plus 2 gig swap file).

    Can someone please tell me what's the best way to debug the problem. Other than a small window saying there is not enough memory, I have no other information.

    I did remove openoffice (apt-get remove) in order to have enough room for my program. Could that have done something to kde?

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    Grzegorz

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    In case anyone wanders. Somehow I managed to remove kde. The only thing I remember removing is openoffice.

    The debian package system (especially the dependencies) need a bit of work

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I agree, I think the packages need a bit of work.
    Just try installing kpat (the KDE solitaire game) to the KDE package that comes with Knoppix. It is going to REMOVE KDE and all existing KDE packages as part of installing this silly little game! I think what happens is it wants to upgrade some lib that is needed for all of KDE but to upgrade it it must first remove the existing lib which trashes everything that depends on it. and it doesn't know enough to restore them following the upgrade. I reported this to KDE as a bug but the response was it's a distribution problem not a KDE problem. I think the problem is actually with dpkg. I suppose I should try to report it but I haven't yet. Maybe they are already aware of it as the same problem arises with other KDE packages too.
    Actually, I have had a lot of problems trying to upgrade packages and have learned to be very careful, apt-get & dpkg can turn into Freddy the package slasher real easy.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    same here (koffice and dep hell)

    while remastering after the kde packages in unstable went from 3.1.3->3.1.4
    I had the same issue while removing koffice, it wanted to remove kdebase+
    the trick of course is to hold the current version. Had no problem using synaptic for my remaster...
    the problem I find it that there isn't an "archive" of the unstable branch so when a new version of kde (for example) comes it has a hard time distinguishes the two versions and craps out. I can't even get ksysguard installed cause it needs the rest of the updates and no copy for 3.1.3-1

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: same here (koffice and dep hell)

    Quote Originally Posted by freeballer
    while remastering after the kde packages in unstable went from 3.1.3->3.1.4
    I had the same issue while removing koffice, it wanted to remove kdebase+
    the trick of course is to hold the current version. Had no problem using synaptic for my remaster...
    the problem I find it that there isn't an "archive" of the unstable branch so when a new version of kde (for example) comes it has a hard time distinguishes the two versions and craps out. I can't even get ksysguard installed cause it needs the rest of the updates and no copy for 3.1.3-1
    You can always try the snapshot at Debian to get older removed packages for the ksysguard try here for the libsensors that is needed.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1

    Not enough memory for KDE

    I have the same problem with 3.3

    It boots but cannot start KDE, not enough memory. I have an Athlon system with 512M RAM, so that cannot be the real reason. If I run kdeinit from the input prompt, it cores.

    What's missing - KDE must be working for some of you guys out there, but I've seen so many posts about this memory problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  2. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$254.97