Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Vaio PCG-GRV680 DVD-/+RW CD-RW Combo Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Vaio PCG-GRV680 DVD-/+RW CD-RW Combo Drive

    Able to boot using PXE on our home lan. My goal is to install Knoppix on the hard disk but only if I am able to utilize the DVD-/+ CD-/+ combo drive burner. I've downloaded MediaLinux as well as dvdauthor6 and am open for any suggestions. My laptop came with XP Home installed and was "upgraded" to Pro before I bought it and for the life of me I am unable to make the os recognize the optical drive for what it really is... a burner combo not just a dvd player and cd burner.
    Thanks,
    Gone Fishing [/b]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I'm confused by your post - are you saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is, or that Knoppix won't, or both?

    Good luck
    JD

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix or MediaLinux

    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I'm confused by your post - are you saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is, or that Knoppix won't, or both?

    Good luck
    JD
    You are correct, I am saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is. As for Knoppix I'm unable to determine if it does as it doesn't seem to have any DVD authoring apps which is why I've downloaded Medialilnux.iso and dvdauthor6 as possible solutions. I'm wondering if it would be easier to do an apt get (which I have not done yet) with dvdauthor6 or install MediaLinux what do you think?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix or MediaLinux

    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I'm confused by your post - are you saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is, or that Knoppix won't, or both?

    Good luck
    JD
    You are correct, I am saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is. As for Knoppix I'm unable to determine if it does as it doesn't seem to have any DVD authoring apps which is why I've downloaded Medialilnux.iso and dvdauthor6 as possible solutions. I'm wondering if it would be easier to do an apt get (which I have not done yet) with dvdauthor6 or install MediaLinux what do you think?
    A quick way to check if it recognized the burner is cdrecord -scanbus when booted from Knoppix if it is seen then you would have to install to the HD to be able to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b which supports writing to DVD.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Re: Knoppix or MediaLinux

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I'm confused by your post - are you saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is, or that Knoppix won't, or both?

    Good luck
    JD
    You are correct, I am saying that XP Pro won't regognize the burner for what it is. As for Knoppix I'm unable to determine if it does as it doesn't seem to have any DVD authoring apps which is why I've downloaded Medialilnux.iso and dvdauthor6 as possible solutions. I'm wondering if it would be easier to do an apt get (which I have not done yet) with dvdauthor6 or install MediaLinux what do you think?
    A quick way to check if it recognized the burner is cdrecord -scanbus when booted from Knoppix if it is seen then you would have to install to the HD to be able to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b which supports writing to DVD.

    Installed Knoppix 3.3 to hd and am dual booting using Gag no problems. Now ready to install the latest k3b. Need help picking the specific version of k3b as well as how to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b....Can you point me in the right direction?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix or MediaLinux

    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing

    Installed Knoppix 3.3 to hd and am dual booting using Gag no problems. Now ready to install the latest k3b. Need help picking the specific version of k3b as well as how to include a line in the /etc/apt/sources.list to install the latest k3b....Can you point me in the right direction?
    You need these lines in the sources.list file:
    Code:
    ## K3b sources for sarge requires KDE > 3.1.2 from SID
    deb http://www.planet-moll.de/debian sarge main
    Then you would dselect update and apt-get -s install k3b if the output of the command looks good then remove the -s to actually install. The editing of the file and the commands done as root.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 08:36 AM
  2. USB Flash/CD Combo
    By DueroTycoon in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
  3. Adaptec Firewire/usb combo (AUA 1411)
    By asearle in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
  4. Vaio PCG-GRV680 DVD-/+RW CD-RW Combo Drive
    By gonefishing in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 08:40 PM
  5. Laptop doesn't shutdown properly: CardBus + USB combo drive
    By aletroux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210

$139.99



LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5

LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD TLC DRAM 95% or Better

$250.00