-
Newbie - Cable modem install
Hi guys,
Well I got knoppix and ran it from CD and was absolutely amazed, everything worked, even my NTL cable modem on USB. Most people seem to recommend using the ethernet port, but a 600kbps connection tends not to go so fast on a 100mbps network card so I thought I'd do it the hard way.
So one knx-hdinstall later, everything went to pot.
I realise it's instantly not quite as user friendly, I had to manually confirgure most of my hardware, which was fine until it came to the modem. Knoppix/debian detects it fine as eth01 but how can I get knoppix to use it as a default gateway and send a DHCP request and all the other wondeful things you need to get a cable modem working. I must stress that although this modem has a fixed IP, NTL insist on changing it whenever they feel like it, so it must be a DHCP request and not a fixed configuration. I tried the Network card config which works to get it running on DamnSmallLinux, but on my installed knoppix, it loads the item in the taskbar with a timer, then eventually disappears from whence it came.
Any help will be much appreciated
Keep Smiling
-
He he he
OK, reading through other posts, I tried a couple of leads and got the modem working with a simple netcardconfig command.
Ok, next problem, is there anyway of doing this at boot to save me having to type it in every single time?
Thanks guys
Keep Smiling
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: He he he

Originally Posted by
slicksps
OK, reading through other posts, I tried a couple of leads and got the modem working with a simple netcardconfig command.
Ok, next problem, is there anyway of doing this at boot to save me having to type it in every single time?
Thanks guys

Keep Smiling

That would be the third question and answer in the FaqNetwork you would have to make the changes as root.
-
Oh Shush you! ****ing on my fireworks.
Nah just kidding, my fault for not checking there first. Thanks a bill, I'll have a look.
Keep Smiling
Similar Threads
-
By White_Devil in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
-
By Neuling in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2005, 11:28 PM
-
By scramble in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-01-2004, 01:53 AM
-
By illcuban in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 02:45 AM
-
By SniperNeo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99