-
Soundblaster Audigy on Knoppix
I just install Knoppix and my sound is not working. I am a COMPLETE newbie to linux as I am now dual booting XP and Knoppix now. Please help me, thanks. As the title says I am using Soundblaster Audigy.
-
This is the error I got when I tried sndconfig
The module used for your card emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed.
See, it detects my soundcard fine, but then it gives me that message.
-
Junior Member
registered user
You need to use the alsa cheat code. i.e. at boot, type
Mike
-
How do I do that? When I boot, out comes LILO and the boot menu. I don't have a choice. Sorry I'm a newbie.
I did an HD install, so it doesn't have a boot prompt.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Dark-Prophecy
How do I do that? When I boot, out comes LILO and the boot menu. I don't have a choice. Sorry I'm a newbie.
I did an HD install, so it doesn't have a boot prompt.
Try as root /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig if it works and you get sound then also as root edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file this sets the default volume on boot.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I was also having problems getting sound. I tried what you said & it worked but I had to start xmms from console as root. On the next boot I got an error 'couldn't open device /dev/dsp (Permission denied)' & again no sound unless I started xmms from console as root. permissions for /dev/dsp are user =root, group=audio, rw for user & group. I assume these are default values. What else do I have to do to get sound as user without having to start xmms as root?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
I was also having problems getting sound. I tried what you said & it worked but I had to start xmms from console as root. On the next boot I got an error 'couldn't open device /dev/dsp (Permission denied)' & again no sound unless I started xmms from console as root. permissions for /dev/dsp are user =root, group=audio, rw for user & group. I assume these are default values. What else do I have to do to get sound as user without having to start xmms as root?
Is the user a member of the audio group? To check use groups or id if you are not a member then adduser user_name audio as root then logout and back in for the changes to take effect.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Tried adding the user to the group 'audio' using KUser. Oddly, had to add root also...no users were checked off by default. That stopped the 'can't open /dev/dsp errors' (BTW did not get the error when logging on as root) but hen XMMS wouldn't run. It would just start up, display the xmms screen then freeze. Had to use ctrl-alt-esc to kill it.
Maybe I've done something bad to the basic system. This is on my laptop, Dual boot Win ME & Knoppix, only 6G HD so minimal room for Knoppix, so I've tried to eliminate unneeded stuff to gain some space & maybe I've trashed something which was necessary.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Tried adding the user to the group 'audio' using KUser. Oddly, had to add root also...no users were checked off by default. That stopped the 'can't open /dev/dsp errors' (BTW did not get the error when logging on as root) but hen XMMS wouldn't run. It would just start up, display the xmms screen then freeze. Had to use ctrl-alt-esc to kill it.
Maybe I've done something bad to the basic system. This is on my laptop, Dual boot Win ME & Knoppix, only 6G HD so minimal room for Knoppix, so I've tried to eliminate unneeded stuff to gain some space & maybe I've trashed something which was necessary.
Check for the artsd daemon running it screws up xmms all the time if you do not have the plugin installed and enabled. Try when the problem happens ps xa| grep arts then kill of the number of the arts process. Alternatively you can install xmms-arts and use that for the output plugin instead of the OSS plugin.
-
Senior Member
registered user
can't get ps xa /grep arts to work, gives bad syntax errors but ps x gives a list & there is no artsd running. also I get error 'rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC:remote refused' but then it goes ahead & adds the user to /etc/group.
This is definitely a permissions problem of some kind. When I do not have user as a member of audio, xmms plugin works & I can get sound as root, either logged on as root or sudo'd. but as user I get 'cannot open /dev/dsp' error while logging in & get errors when the xmms plugin tries to open. (These errors only started after I added the aumix line to bootmisc as suggested above). When user IS added to group audio, xmms plugin stalls whether being called from root or from user. Won't play sound, won't close.
Late breaking news...it DOES play the sound, it just waits about 30 seconds before it plays!??! but it still won't close.
Similar Threads
-
By Mastacheata in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
-
By OmegaOne in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 02:25 PM
-
By flailer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:57 AM
-
By JohnElmore in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 06:13 AM
-
By Playloud in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-25-2002, 12:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$739.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Sony Ruggedized Raid PSZ-RA Thunderbolt 2 Portable RAID Array (12TB)
$419.00