-
newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login
I've made my own remaster with gnome2.4 and trying to get XCFE4 (which won't boot for me) and a few other packages installed. I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login

Originally Posted by
freeballer
I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?
If you are using KDM as your window manager, you should only have to logout and you should be brought back to the login page. Alternately you can just hit ctrl+alt+backspace which should kill X and bring you back to the KDM login.
Adam
-
save your configuration and then modify the knoppix.sh file so that it creates links in rc2.d through rc5.d with /etc/init.d/kdm as S19kdm. When you boot with "knoppix myconfig=scan" the knoppix.sh will be run and the added script commands will cause the kdm manager to be run on bootup.
I recently did this after also enabling NIS and kdm shows up with all the NIS login IDs too. Pretty cool. There might be a gdm you could use instead of kdm and as far as window managers go, you'll have to mess with the kdm/gdm init scripts to be sure your particular window managers are available and add code/script to knoppix.sh to restore those files which you might need to put on a floppy if you don't have accessable HD space.
-
Similar Threads
-
By flashfyre in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:55 AM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 09:15 AM
-
By wanderer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 04:36 PM
-
By merc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
-
By hololi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB KIT - 2x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00