-
The Key Success Factor
Looking at the recent rise of Knoppix and the spate of live cd distros following it, I have to comment on the single main reason why this is so. I know there are alot of *little* reasons, but surely the most critical one is not needing to re-partition your HD.
Hard Disk Re-partitioning is a black art, as I discovered recently when I heard an expert say that the famous Powerquest "Partition Magic" actually does not *really* re-partition, but only fools the system into believing that is so.
Consequently risk-averse users with windows already on their HD couldn't face dealing with partitioning and now with Knoppix they don't need to. And that's one big user base.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmm. Well I think people use knoppix for different reasons, but if you're simply saying that people are attracted to knoppix because, unlike traditional distributions which involve a higher level of risk due to partitioning, all you have to do is boot from a cd, then i agree.
One point you may want to consider though is that Knoppix DOES have a graphical partition application which is just as easy (well probably easier) to use than partition magic. It's called qtparted. Because qtparted can be used with Knoppix you don't even have to install it on your hard drive (unlike partition magic).
Personally I started using knoppix because it has an easy way to install debian and debian is frankly the best distro around when it comes to an a really great package management system (imho).
Others have their reasons, backup, rescue, security analysis, quick and easy server setup...there are really a lot of good reasons to use knoppix.
-
Definitely
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that tool Knoppix had. I will investigate, although the word "repartitioning" makes me catch my breath. Come to think of it "windows backup test" also gives me the HBGBs. To avoid all risk, a clean empty HD is required (of course, then that's regular partitioning, with the RE-)
I just feel that Knoppix will allow a much wider number of new users to experience linux. Over time, the barriers to *installing* linux have been coming down, and Knoppix live CD represents a significant event in that process. It should get a write-up in "Family PC" at some stage, that's what I mean
Similar Threads
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By jimbo62 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
-
By lilsirecho in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:45 AM
-
By MethodMan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 09:12 PM
-
By Tigren in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack
$88.90

Intel Optane NMA1XXD128GPS DDR4 2666 4Rx4 ECC 128GB Server Ram
$80.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC
$4.95