Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Boot problems again

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    7

    Boot problems again

    I am having trouble running Knoppix on my laptop (Acer Travelmate 240)
    I know the disk is good as it works on my desktop pc
    I have burnt a 2nd disk at a slower rate (8x) still no good
    I get to the boot prompt and if I press enter I just get a blank screen
    with certain cheat codes I can get a couple of steps further where it says loading vmlinuz
    miniroot.gz

    then I get a lione of text at the top of the screen that says Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernal

    At this point it just hangs nothing happens at all

    I have tried all the cheatcodes
    and I have read about 100 forum posts but still can't find an answer

    Graphics details if you need them are Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME controller


    can anyone help me please

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    It appears that hardware is tricky for Linux in general. See/contribute to the recent thread at

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...758&highlight=

    It's mostly pessimistic but has a few suggestions for how you might proceed. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Might be the same I've run into, I got it working by remastering
    a CD. (removed SMP and APM support, added ACPI support instead)
    More details in this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=5207&start=15

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    Same problem here. I was able to boot the MEPIS 2003.10.01 live CD(#1 - 2.4.22 kernel - see http://www.mepis.org ) with no problems (sees the built-in Ethernet and mousepad but not the wireless or a USB mouse I tried - I am posting this from Konqueror on the ACER).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2

    ACER TM 240 works with Kernel 2.6

    Just type knoppix26 on your Acer TravelMate 240 (TM 240) when it says 'boot:' and it will work. Or at least mine does with Knoppix 3.4.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Problems
    By phoenixzero in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 06:14 AM
  2. Boot up problems
    By Linuxguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 07:00 PM
  3. Boot problems
    By Jobbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 01:27 AM
  4. Boot / boot loader problems
    By Loper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 02:38 AM
  5. Problems with x - Boot-shutdown... Boot-shutdown...Boot-shut
    By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99