Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: KDE 3.1 is in woody has ne1 tried it?

  1. #11

    Re: My adventures w/ Knoppix ...

    I managed to install KDE 3.1 with the help of what ironstorm wrote. But after all I must say, that was a pain. I want to be able to compile KDE applications like "kile" and therefore I need kdelibs4-dev. When I try to install them I encounter scaring package dependencies so that my dselect was trying to delete the whole KDE stuff again. I also found out, that kpackage does not work anymore with kde 3.1 The error was: "konsole_grantpty: cannot revoke /dev/ttyp0. Reason: Function not implemented" although konsole_grantpty is installed with setuid. So my personal efforts in installing KDE 3.1 weren't very sucessfull. I have a running KDE 3.1 system by now, but it is not complete and I do not know how to repair it. Any hints? Has anybody got a complete KDE 3.1 whith all development libs included?

    Best regards,

    Christian

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    78
    I was wondering :
    Maybe it would be easier to create a KDE3.1 version with the, for instance, Modularity-K distro (or Morphix base) ?
    Or are there still a lot of dependecies in such a small basic distro ?
    Then again : Knoppix Lite is easier to use, as it's allready customized a bit.
    How should I go about making a KDE3.1 version out of this ?
    (Asked more then once, I know, but there still (to me) isn't a clear answer...)

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    Morphix has a KDE3.1 test module up (in iso form , ready to burn ) at 275megs (full KDE install with the morphix installer and some extra's, but as far as i can remeber no devel libs included, it's a GUI module). Would really like some feedback, but if you want a stable KDE3.1 i would suggest eadz' KnoppixKDE.

    Anyway, for more info check www.morphix.org or the mirror. I dont have any specific info on KDE up yet, do have a page on the wiki there reserved for feedback purposes

    And no, i won't hack up Morphix base for a single distro, that would be exactly the opposite of what morphix is for

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12
    I tried the morphix kde 3.1 hd-install...not very stable at all. The first attempt didn't recognize the reiserfs partition and errored out.

    Then the setup asks for root and morph passwords...changed them to mine, but at login, states "invalid login"...even for root (the one I picked).

    Was only able to login as root, and only by pressing enter with no password. Then I was able to change the password through KDE. Weird, huh?

    Then APT is completely foobar in Morphix. There was no apt.conf file at all, there was no "available" file (whatever that is) and that caused errors trying to apt-get anything. Entire directories needed for apt-get were missing. I gave up after checking out the Apt-get How-to's at Debian.org. Their troubleshooting section at least assumes that the directories will at least be there (they're missing in Morphix).

    I'll wait for the knoppix 3.2 to arrive.

    Greg

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I have a morphix kde 3.1 hd install and it works OK, users are fine, etc.

    As root you have to do a:

    touch /var/lib/dpkg/available

    for dpkg (apt-get) to function properly.

    HTH

    rock

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12
    I'd love to give it another go, but I recently discovered Fluxbox...if I can get the desktop icons set up, and some quicklaunch apps, I'd be set.

    Would love to see the mem usage comparison between kde3.1 and fluxbox. Anyone have some insight? With 3.0, I only had 3megs free mem (out of 128) at boot.

    GregC

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Free memory is not really a consideration with linux, as linux will use all of the available ram it can especially when running an X session.

    More of a consideration is system overhead (processor and memory requirements) of the running processes. Since fluxbox is way smaller and much simpler it is faster than kde 3.0 (later versions of kde ie: 3.1 and 3.1.1 are both slightly smaller and slightly faster than previous versions of kde).

    here is the top output of one of my systems that has been running almost 38 days:

    76 processes: 74 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: 4.9% user, 4.1% system, 0.0% nice, 91.0% idle
    Mem: 256280K total, 208468K used, 47812K free, 24104K buffers
    Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 90432K cached
    --with openoffice, mozilla the two big user apps running.


    here is another top output with openoffice no longer running:

    70 processes: 68 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: 1.2% user, 0.8% system, 0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
    Mem: 256280K total, 201472K used, 54808K free, 24524K buffers
    Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 91652K cached

    Note I have 7MB more free memory (54808K - 47812K) also note openoffice takes 17.4MB to run with the document I had opened (15.2 running OO.org writer without a document opened)

    Also note: the two CPU states cannot really be compared as the values fluctuate with system usage, switching windows etc.

    rock

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Free memory is not really a consideration with linux, as linux will use all of the available ram it can especially when running an X session.

    More of a consideration is system overhead (processor and memory requirements) of the running processes. Since fluxbox is way smaller and much simpler it is faster than kde 3.0 (later versions of kde ie: 3.1 and 3.1.1 are both slightly smaller and slightly faster than previous versions of kde).

    here is the top output of one of my systems that has been running almost 38 days:

    76 processes: 74 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: 4.9% user, 4.1% system, 0.0% nice, 91.0% idle
    Mem: 256280K total, 208468K used, 47812K free, 24104K buffers
    Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 90432K cached
    --with openoffice, mozilla the two big user apps running.


    here is another top output with openoffice no longer running:

    70 processes: 68 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: 1.2% user, 0.8% system, 0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
    Mem: 256280K total, 201472K used, 54808K free, 24524K buffers
    Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 91652K cached

    Note I have 7MB more free memory (54808K - 47812K) also note openoffice takes 17.4MB to run with the document I had opened (15.2 running OO.org writer without a document opened)

    Also note: the two CPU states cannot really be compared as the values fluctuate with system usage, switching windows etc.

    rock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. How to mount the KNOPPIX file in woody?
    By witkey in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 06:22 AM
  2. woody
    By pc3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:47 PM
  3. Knoppix on top of woody
    By rafiks in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 06:39 PM
  4. I want to 'upgrade' to woody after HDD Install
    By mr_dellarenta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 05:19 AM
  5. Differences Between Knoppix HDInstall & Woody?
    By HalVaughan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 09:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99