-
-
I was wondering :
Maybe it would be easier to create a KDE3.1 version with the, for instance, Modularity-K distro (or Morphix base) ?
Or are there still a lot of dependecies in such a small basic distro ?
Then again : Knoppix Lite is easier to use, as it's allready customized a bit.
How should I go about making a KDE3.1 version out of this ?
(Asked more then once, I know, but there still (to me) isn't a clear answer...)
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Junior Member
registered user
I tried the morphix kde 3.1 hd-install...not very stable at all. The first attempt didn't recognize the reiserfs partition and errored out.
Then the setup asks for root and morph passwords...changed them to mine, but at login, states "invalid login"...even for root (the one I picked).
Was only able to login as root, and only by pressing enter with no password. Then I was able to change the password through KDE. Weird, huh?
Then APT is completely foobar in Morphix. There was no apt.conf file at all, there was no "available" file (whatever that is) and that caused errors trying to apt-get anything. Entire directories needed for apt-get were missing. I gave up after checking out the Apt-get How-to's at Debian.org. Their troubleshooting section at least assumes that the directories will at least be there (they're missing in Morphix).
I'll wait for the knoppix 3.2 to arrive.
Greg
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have a morphix kde 3.1 hd install and it works OK, users are fine, etc.
As root you have to do a:
touch /var/lib/dpkg/available
for dpkg (apt-get) to function properly.
HTH
rock
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'd love to give it another go, but I recently discovered Fluxbox...if I can get the desktop icons set up, and some quicklaunch apps, I'd be set.
Would love to see the mem usage comparison between kde3.1 and fluxbox. Anyone have some insight? With 3.0, I only had 3megs free mem (out of 128) at boot.
GregC
-
Senior Member
registered user
Free memory is not really a consideration with linux, as linux will use all of the available ram it can especially when running an X session.
More of a consideration is system overhead (processor and memory requirements) of the running processes. Since fluxbox is way smaller and much simpler it is faster than kde 3.0 (later versions of kde ie: 3.1 and 3.1.1 are both slightly smaller and slightly faster than previous versions of kde).
here is the top output of one of my systems that has been running almost 38 days:
76 processes: 74 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 4.9% user, 4.1% system, 0.0% nice, 91.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 208468K used, 47812K free, 24104K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 90432K cached
--with openoffice, mozilla the two big user apps running.
here is another top output with openoffice no longer running:
70 processes: 68 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 1.2% user, 0.8% system, 0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 201472K used, 54808K free, 24524K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 91652K cached
Note I have 7MB more free memory (54808K - 47812K) also note openoffice takes 17.4MB to run with the document I had opened (15.2 running OO.org writer without a document opened)
Also note: the two CPU states cannot really be compared as the values fluctuate with system usage, switching windows etc.
rock
-
Senior Member
registered user
Free memory is not really a consideration with linux, as linux will use all of the available ram it can especially when running an X session.
More of a consideration is system overhead (processor and memory requirements) of the running processes. Since fluxbox is way smaller and much simpler it is faster than kde 3.0 (later versions of kde ie: 3.1 and 3.1.1 are both slightly smaller and slightly faster than previous versions of kde).
here is the top output of one of my systems that has been running almost 38 days:
76 processes: 74 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 4.9% user, 4.1% system, 0.0% nice, 91.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 208468K used, 47812K free, 24104K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 90432K cached
--with openoffice, mozilla the two big user apps running.
here is another top output with openoffice no longer running:
70 processes: 68 sleeping, 1 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 1.2% user, 0.8% system, 0.0% nice, 98.0% idle
Mem: 256280K total, 201472K used, 54808K free, 24524K buffers
Swap: 136512K total, 20448K used, 116064K free, 91652K cached
Note I have 7MB more free memory (54808K - 47812K) also note openoffice takes 17.4MB to run with the document I had opened (15.2 running OO.org writer without a document opened)
Also note: the two CPU states cannot really be compared as the values fluctuate with system usage, switching windows etc.
rock
Similar Threads
-
By witkey in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 06:22 AM
-
By pc3 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:47 PM
-
By rafiks in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 06:39 PM
-
By mr_dellarenta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 05:19 AM
-
By HalVaughan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height
$899.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Cisco GSD-240G V01
$55.00

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00