Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: knoppix-std config question, please help a noob

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    knoppix-std config question, please help a noob

    I have to add a few lines to the etc/pcmcia/config file in order for my wireless adapter to work:

    card "microsoft wireless notebook adapter mn-520 1.0.3"
    adapter "microsoft", "wireless notebook adapter mn-520", "", "1.0.3"
    bind "orinoco_cs"

    whats the easiest way for me to do this and have it save so everytime i boot from the knoppix cd its good.

    is a remaster of the iso the only way?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: knoppix-std config question, please help a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by jruppert
    I have to add a few lines to the etc/pcmcia/config file in order for my wireless adapter to work:

    card "microsoft wireless notebook adapter mn-520 1.0.3"
    adapter "microsoft", "wireless notebook adapter mn-520", "", "1.0.3"
    bind "orinoco_cs"

    whats the easiest way for me to do this and have it save so everytime i boot from the knoppix cd its good.

    is a remaster of the iso the only way?
    send it to Klaus or better yet to the debian package maintainer(may be klaus would do that) as Klaus tends to use only standard stuff that can be apt-get, other than his own stuff.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi jruppert,

    There is a way of booting from a floppy.
    You may place the script knoppix.sh on
    the boot floppy and use it to modify your
    root files.

    Do you have a persistent home?
    If you have a persistent home and you use KDE you
    may also do some automatic configuring
    by putting a script in /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart

    Besides the above two methods -- I have also made
    additions to the file configs.tbz created by
    Save KNOPPIX configuration on the K menu.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    Hi jruppert,

    There is a way of booting from a floppy.
    You may place the script knoppix.sh on
    the boot floppy and use it to modify your
    root files.

    Do you have a persistent home?
    If you have a persistent home and you use KDE you
    may also do some automatic configuring
    by putting a script in /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart

    Besides the above two methods -- I have also made
    additions to the file configs.tbz created by
    Save KNOPPIX configuration on the K menu.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs
    thanks for the help, i am using a persistent home and would be open to do some configuring using a script, but could use some help. any pointers, or places i could read up on it?

    thanks!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi again,

    Linux shell script are very cool.
    You have terific and terrifying control of you system
    when you have root privlidge. KNOPPIX
    make you root by simply typing the two letters
    su on it's own line in a shell.

    Sorry if this is way to elementry for you --
    I have no Idea of where to start. Here is a basic link:
    Shell Scripts: .BAT Files on Steroids
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html


    You might experiment with the following:
    Copy the file you want to change a boot to /home/knoppix/
    and make the changes, and change the name.

    Use the cp command wiht the -fp options to copy this
    file to update the original one. If this works form a
    shell, the automate it by making a text file in the
    directroy /home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart
    ( the file .kde is hidden -- change view to show it)

    The first line of the script can be
    #!/bin/bash
    Then enter the command to copy the file.

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    awesome!!! thanks

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10

    same card diff problem

    I was wondering if anyone could help me figure my problem out. I editid the /etc/pcmcia/config file, to how jruppert had his, but I couldn't figure out how to activate my card (ie turn it on) then I desided I would reboot, and ran into the same problem I always have....and that's the computer freezes on boot when trying to load the wireless drivers...

    any help is greatly appriciated

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10
    Ok more news...not good but making headway.

    I've now gotten a little further, I have no error messages saying I configured something wrong.

    but still

    when I boot (with card in of course) or when I restart pcmcia, I get lights on, 1 beep, and a system freeze.

    does anyone know how to make this not happen?

    I think I'm supposed to be getting 2 beeps, but I just don't know what to do from here.

    Nick

    email: [email protected]

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 and Raid 0 Config Question?
    By TRow in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
  2. noob question: Minimum laptop specs for knoppix, how-to, etc
    By Will von Wizzlepig in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 11:07 PM
  3. yet another noob question
    By mstlyharmlss in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 09:19 PM
  4. Noob Question
    By philski27 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 01:17 AM
  5. a 'noob' question about booting from hd
    By Allowee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98