Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Screen at offset

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23

    Screen at offset

    Hi,

    I used the 3/11 release and another one (can't remember which) and
    I see my screen at an offset when kde loads. This means I can't see
    some stuff at the lower right area of my desktop. My computer is
    a LCD screen attached to the computer, 8mb graphic memory (shared)
    and a pIII 1Ghz. My screen doesn't have buttons to set the screen's
    position like some screens do, so I'm pretty much stuck.

    Someone told me to set the hrefresh and vrefresh to 60hz (like what's
    set in my winxp ) but that didn't help.

    Anyone knows a solution to this?
    (If you need more information, please tell me and I'll provide it)

    p.s.
    I also tried DSL and it works perfectly there. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50
    On my LCD screen I used xvidtune to adjust the image on the screen. Might give that a try it is with Knoppix run from console.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

    I tried using xvidtune as you suggested and used the
    left button to move the screen with no luck. Nothing
    happened and the screen continues to stay at its position.
    I found it hard to beleive I'm the only one who encountered
    this. Linux gurus? please? Am I missing something in the
    boot options? In DSL the screen shows up right, and I
    thought DSL is a knoppix remaster, so how could it be?
    What is DSL doing differently?

    thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    Just wanted to add that I hit "Test" button after moving
    the position several steps to the left. So it's not
    that.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    guys?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    Please?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    in xvidtune you need to press the [apply] button to set your changes...

    Just an idea, copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from DSL to hd or floppy or ??? start knoppix in knoppix 2 text mode copy the good XF86Config-4 file to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 then use startx to get into KDE then save your knoppix configuration for reboot.


    ~rock

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    thanks,

    in xvidtune you need to press the [apply] button to set your changes...
    But it says in the beginning that changes might do permanent damage to
    the screen or the configuration, which spooked me a little since I still
    need this computer (badly!). : - )

    Just an idea, copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from DSL
    Thanks, I'll give it a try when I'll be at my computer.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    Guys, I'm stumped. I just can't seem to figure this problem
    out. I looked for XF86Config-4 file in DSL but I only found
    XF86Config file which has some other format than the file
    in knoppix. I also tried these cheat codes:

    knoppix fb1024x768 xmodule=fbdev vga=normal

    however, it failed to load alltogether, saying my screen
    doesn't support it. Also tried pressing [crtl]+[alt]+[-] as
    someone suggested, didn't work either.
    Can't anyone think of a reason why it can happen?


    p.s.,
    do you really want me to go back to windows?
    please ......

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    aahhhhhhhaaaaa,

    I tried logging with knoppix 2, then replaced the XF86Config-4 file
    and doing startx. I did this with the DSL config file which crashed,
    tried with a modified (using kde, I configured the monitor and adapter
    and then saved the file) and it loaded with a white screen and that's
    it. What can I do?

    I also noticed that when booting with knoppix, there's a error in there,
    can't remember exactly the words, but it goes something like this:
    "PCI: could not allocate resource for device 1.04" or something like
    that. But after that I do see the right adapter displayed (I also see
    the right sound device but I can't hear music, what's going on?).
    The screen shows like that only when kde loads. When booting up untill
    kde loads, the screen is aligned perfectly.

    please, please, please tell me how to fix this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. turning off screen saver / blanking at login screen
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
  2. Offset window display
    By ddill in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 01:25 AM
  3. vga screen?
    By kiber in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:26 PM
  4. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
  5. Screen off-set
    By Dickey Peterson in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2002, 06:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB  SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5

SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5" /7 (SDSSDH3-1T02)

$138.56



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99