i think the command is knoppix-installer
Hello,
After trying to get RedHat, Debian, and SuSE to work and the installer not working for any of them (I still have no clue why), I thought I'd try Knoppix. I formatted the hard drive from DOS as FAT, then booted from the CD (version 3.3). I'm seeing stuff about being able to install Knoppix somehow though, can someone tell me how to do it?
My main problem right now is that Knoppix keeps locking up whenever I try to run anything; I've got a 6 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM (although no swap space yet), and a 633 MHz processor, and I can't see any reason why it's locking up. I'm guessing that by installing Knoppix that it has a smoother performance, but I need to know how to do this. Any help is very welcome!
Thanks,
- Smiley
i think the command is knoppix-installer
Do you intend to dual-boot? The reason I ask is so you can partition your disks differently...
If you intend to install just Knoppix-Debian then you'd probably do okaywith making one primary partition for '/', one one FAT32 partition (I'll explain why in a bit, maybe just around 800 MB?), and one 512 mb swap partition.
Now why the FAT32 partition? Well, you can copy the 'knoppix' folder from the Knoppix CD onto that partition and make a boot floppy from there. It's called an HD based install and you can read more about it here.
From the HOWTO:1.4. Run Microsoft Windows, copy Knoppix to HD & make it bootable with bootfloppy
Also called "poormans install"
NOTE: The partition (i.e. drive) that you are copying to (the D partition in the example below) must be a fat32 partition. If it is NTFS, the install will not boot.
* Copy the CD:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to HD:\KNOPPIX\
E:\KNOPPIX\>mkdir D:\KNOPPIX
E:\KNOPPIX\>copy KNOPPIX D:\KNOPPIX\
1 files(s) copied
* Make the bootfloppy. Start "mkfloppy.bat" on the CD in the KNOPPIX folder.
E:\KNOPPIX\>mkfloppy
* Boot from the floppy. It should scan for the KNOPPIX file and find it on the harddisk.
* Enjoy
It will function as if it's the live CD but your hard drive may offer better performance. Now open up a konsole, type 'su' (press return) then type "knoppix-installer"( press return), that should get you started. I suggest you start from the option to partition your hard drive so you can set up your swap and ext3 partitions.
Hi Ulaire Smiley,
Your sysem numbers look good. Are you haveing
freeze ups when working from the CD boot?
If so you may want to try some of the "no" boot
cheat codes. Try especially nodm although this may
be by default off.
See DOCS and cheat codes.
If this doesn't help tell us more specifics of what
is on you computer.
Best Wishes
paradocs
just a thought, if those various installers didn't work...u might try checking the jumpers on your drives and see if they are set for proper master or slave RATHER THAN Cable Select. I ran into this many moons ago with various linux versions. I had hurriedly installed a new drive w/o checking the jumper, caught it many tries later. gl![]()
how can i download the full iso of knoppix not knoppix live cd i like to hafe it on my pc not in the cd
Huh?
The live CD -- IS -- the full CD...
I think he is asking about installing Knoppix on the Hard Disk. What you need to do is to :
- boot what you called "Live CD" Knoppix
- Press Ctrl -Alt-F1. This will open a terminal session window.
- You might have to hit return in that window to get the prompt
- enter knx-hdinstall. This will lead you through the process of creating partitions (swap & /). The full procedure was on this site and I can't find it any more. I recently did that and the installtion went OK except the reboot failed. I have posted a message to see if any one has ideas and haven't heard yet.
May be you will have better luck.
-Abe
You can also use 'knoppix-installer' in place of knx-hdinstall. Easy and no probs with it so far.
As I understand it, 'knoppix-installer' makes a copy of the CD which is compressed and does not allow you to add other apps. I prefer using Knx-hdinstall because it does create a normal Debian install but a lot easier than standard debian install.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD
$149.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$71.49
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX Socket AM4 AMD DDR4 Gaming Motherboard
$69.99
ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX
$59.99