I'm really trying to avoid the VIA chipset all together. I know of several people that seem to have no troubles with them but just the same......Originally Posted by baldyeti
Here are the nvidia drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
I'm really trying to avoid the VIA chipset all together. I know of several people that seem to have no troubles with them but just the same......Originally Posted by baldyeti
Here are the nvidia drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
If you want something really cheap, you can get the PCChips Syntax with KT266 and USB2 for less than £20 from Ebuyer. I have not seen any bad reviews about this board - unusually for PCC, everything seems to work out-of-the-box and is well-behaved. Not cutting-edge, but then, neither is your prospective cpu.
OG.
Looks quite interesting indeed; have you actually tried that one with a knoppix CD? Did the sound/ethernet/usb2 work?Originally Posted by oldgeezer
Sorry - no! Entirely happy with my earlier K7S5As, vide supra, whose idiosyncrasies I find totally manageable. I have no USB2 devices.
OG.
I have been using an ECS K7S5A for over a year now. I have installed Redhat, Mandrake and Knoppix on them with no problems. Onboard sound, Lan, USB, everything works fine. I have 1700XP cpu, have used 100, 133 AND DDr 2700 memory. Presently 786 meg ram, and GForce 3 vc. I like them so well, I used same boards in multiple computers at my bro-in-laws dental practice. Cheap AND reliable. I have ran mine as a server around the clock for weeks on end for DeltaForce games 3 and LW, simultaneously surfing ,etc with no problems. I use this site in Houston for all my computer parts, cheap and reliable www.neobox.ws
just my 2.3 cents worth.
I went with the Asus A7N266-VM/AA nForce220D from linuxvoodoo for $75 shipped. It's a uATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor so it should fit in a fairly small case.
My XP2200 just arrived today from compubuzz- $60 shipped.
Brand new Coolermaster hsf combo from a friend.- $10
Used atx case from a lazy, twinkie binging, cash-strapped teenager- $10
450W power supply w/ dual fans - $15 shipped.
1 40G Seagate - $25
Now all i need to get is the ram.
2 x 512M sticks Micron pc2100 DDR.- $150 shipped.
That's $345.
Let's also add that I sold two older machines for $100 so my out-of-pocket was even lower.
Add my NEC 1100a dvd+rw drive and one of 25 floppy drives I have lying around to this baby and for short money I've got a really cheap pc that oughtta do just fine for a long while to come. HP, Dell, Gateway- you can keep your junk thank you.
I think I need to get the Asus ipanel for $35 shipped too. well- we'll see......
That's robbery! M/b - $30max, mod. D1.6 (clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
OG.
Are you sure you're not thinking in pounds instead of dollars?
Nope! Used a multiplier of 1.7.
OG.
Let's keep in mind that this board has everything onboard- evrything. I don't need to buy a single card and I get nvidia video and sound.Originally Posted by oldgeezer
Sure it's cheaper to get cheap RAM but I have already gotten some good stuff and I'm not about to go el-cheapo on the RAM.(clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
OG.

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested
$28.49
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet
$239.95
Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99