-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
About how much total time and money do you think you invested in this project?
TIA,
I'd say about $350. Keep in mind however that I'm using my existing keyboard, mouse & 17" monitor. I could get the monitor for $25 used, kb for $5 and the USB cordless mouse for $12 shipped. Let's just make it an even $400 for the whole machine. You could even do it for less. Go a little cheaper on the mobo and 512M RAM should be enough for a normal household pc. That could be $100 saved right there. Of course if you're into RAM intensive applications then maybe not.
For example: You can get an XP1900 for $50 shipped. Add one of the previously mentioned mobo's and for $100 you've got 2 of 3 expensive components. $60-$70 for RAM I see no reason you couldn't build a decent machine for $250-$300.
If you get a mobo that doesn't have everything onboard some of the easiest to add would be:
pci NIC- $5 shipped. Realteks work great w/ Linux as does anything w/ the Tulip driver. Plenty of others too.
pci sound $10 shipped. You can get a good sound card for this money.
I have an older Radeon AGP card that gets about 800fps in glxgears. You could get a GeForce2 MX400 64MB for $33 and a 32M version for $24. There are Radeons for the same money. I'm not really into gaming my self so it isn't a big concern for me to have the fastest graphics card available. As long as it works.
You should be able to run the suggested system w/ a 250W p.s. no problem that you can probably find for free. I am constantly amazed at what I find in old pc's. I have bought $5 or $10 pentium1's and a suprise 20G hdd. Get something in the 300-400Mhz range and you should have a case and powersupply at least. I routinely see all sorts of systems in the Thrifty Nickel, local & Denver paper & other local papers.
Personally I never go out and buy anything that costs more than $50 without doing some seriuous shopping around. Also, there was no hurry as I already had a functioning pc. Time wise I would say very little in actually assembling the machine and quite a bit in looking around for the various parts.
Similar Threads
-
By billyboy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
-
By Knobody in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:38 PM
-
By RexBeans Explosion in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:10 AM
-
By freeballer in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
-
By pinochet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00