Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Wanted: mobo recommendation

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    From what I've been (un)able to find, they're both problematic under
    linux. Has anyone good/bad experience here with getting the integrated
    devices of either of these boards to operate with knoppix/debian?

    My understanding is that for nforce2-based mainboards, non-oss drivers are
    available from nvidia. Is this correct ? Anything comparable for Via?

    Thanks for all shared info.
    I'm really trying to avoid the VIA chipset all together. I know of several people that seem to have no troubles with them but just the same......
    Here are the nvidia drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    If you want something really cheap, you can get the PCChips Syntax with KT266 and USB2 for less than £20 from Ebuyer. I have not seen any bad reviews about this board - unusually for PCC, everything seems to work out-of-the-box and is well-behaved. Not cutting-edge, but then, neither is your prospective cpu.
    OG.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    you can get the PCChips Syntax with KT266 and USB2 for less than £20 from Ebuyer
    Looks quite interesting indeed; have you actually tried that one with a knoppix CD? Did the sound/ethernet/usb2 work?

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Sorry - no! Entirely happy with my earlier K7S5As, vide supra, whose idiosyncrasies I find totally manageable. I have no USB2 devices.
    OG.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Morristown.TN
    Posts
    2
    I have been using an ECS K7S5A for over a year now. I have installed Redhat, Mandrake and Knoppix on them with no problems. Onboard sound, Lan, USB, everything works fine. I have 1700XP cpu, have used 100, 133 AND DDr 2700 memory. Presently 786 meg ram, and GForce 3 vc. I like them so well, I used same boards in multiple computers at my bro-in-laws dental practice. Cheap AND reliable. I have ran mine as a server around the clock for weeks on end for DeltaForce games 3 and LW, simultaneously surfing ,etc with no problems. I use this site in Houston for all my computer parts, cheap and reliable www.neobox.ws
    just my 2.3 cents worth.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I went with the Asus A7N266-VM/AA nForce220D from linuxvoodoo for $75 shipped. It's a uATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor so it should fit in a fairly small case.

    My XP2200 just arrived today from compubuzz- $60 shipped.

    Brand new Coolermaster hsf combo from a friend.- $10

    Used atx case from a lazy, twinkie binging, cash-strapped teenager- $10

    450W power supply w/ dual fans - $15 shipped.

    1 40G Seagate - $25

    Now all i need to get is the ram.
    2 x 512M sticks Micron pc2100 DDR.- $150 shipped.

    That's $345.

    Let's also add that I sold two older machines for $100 so my out-of-pocket was even lower.

    Add my NEC 1100a dvd+rw drive and one of 25 floppy drives I have lying around to this baby and for short money I've got a really cheap pc that oughtta do just fine for a long while to come. HP, Dell, Gateway- you can keep your junk thank you.

    I think I need to get the Asus ipanel for $35 shipped too. well- we'll see......

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    That's robbery! M/b - $30max, mod. D1.6 (clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
    OG.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Are you sure you're not thinking in pounds instead of dollars?

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Nope! Used a multiplier of 1.7.
    OG.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    That's robbery! M/b - $30max, mod. D1.6
    Let's keep in mind that this board has everything onboard- evrything. I don't need to buy a single card and I get nvidia video and sound.

    (clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
    OG.
    Sure it's cheaper to get cheap RAM but I have already gotten some good stuff and I'm not about to go el-cheapo on the RAM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Book\doc recommendation needed.
    By billyboy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
  2. Looking for modem recommendation
    By Knobody in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:38 PM
  3. Booting problems with DFI mobo
    By RexBeans Explosion in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:10 AM
  4. Recommendation for a Disk wipe utility!
    By freeballer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
  5. Problem w/ Nforce Mobo
    By pinochet in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$281.25