I'd like to recompile everything in knoppix to i686, and then delete the source and remaster it back into a CD. Is there an easy way to do this with apt?
I'd like to recompile everything in knoppix to i686, and then delete the source and remaster it back into a CD. Is there an easy way to do this with apt?
I guess not, though are is apt-src repositories, if you add them to your /etc/apt/sources.list you can get them via apt-get sources packagename. There even seems to be some 'gentoo-like' automatic compilation going on. Though files downloaded and created this way are completely non-managed, aka apt-get won't keep a database about them. See the apt-get man page for more info, I never used it it this way.
I think you would be better of getting a Gentoo setup and maybe porting some of the Knoppix stuff to it.
Well, actually there's apt-build, a front-end for apt-get to install source packages and wrap gcc to add your own flags. You don't get use flags like with gentoo, but can optimize for architecture/cpu and use Cflags.
I'm playing with this now, using
-mcpu=athlon-xp -march-i686 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math
Now its got a few kinks in it. Some packages don't have source available in the sources.list I have. Others you might get yourself into trouble if you upgraded - libc6, knoppix-specific stuff, gcc, openoffice.....
Its great for installing single optimized packages. Its also got a world option to update from a list (which you need to create).
Using apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade would replace your optimized packages, unless you pin them with a higher priority, but then pinned shared libraries might prevent upgrading other packages with apt-get, so that can give you a little trouble.
Heh, answering my own question....

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00