Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: RAM Problem on Compaq Proliant 5000 Server

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    RAM Problem on Compaq Proliant 5000 Server

    Hello,

    i have Compaq Proliant 5000//2500//1500 Server they all have at least 16MB of Ram on the motherboard up to 32MB
    the rest of the RAM is on two RAM Boards up to 4GB (old Kingston EDO Ram..)I tried to boot Knoppix over Floppy
    it fails:
    Total memory found: 13484kB
    then a cp error
    starting init process is the last message


    the cd works fine on my notebook...

    any idea?

    with kind regards
    marko

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1
    I just joined the forum to ask a Proliant 5000 question. I think I can get you past the memory problem (if you haven't already found the answer).

    Linux will not get the correct memory from the Proliant. So you have to pass the correct memory at boot. On the 2.4.x kernel, it's a little more complicated than just mem=128M (or whatever RAM you have).

    Try this: mem=exactmap mem=12M@0 mem=116M@12M

    In the line above, the 116M assumes that you have 128M installed (128-12). If you have 256M installed then

    Try this: mem=exactmap mem=12M@0 mem=244M@12M

    Hopefully, this will get you past the memory problem. Unfortunately, I have run into another problem after that.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1

    Memory detection problems

    I have a proliant 5000 with 512 RAM.

    I tried the solution given but in this case, I got a Kernel Panic -- Unable to find root filesystem ...--
    In other cases, I can boot correctly on the SCSI discs, but only 16 M (including the ones reserved for kernel use) are detected.

    I am trying to retry this with a 2.6.0-test7 kernel but I dont think it would change anything at all.

    Do someone have an idea ?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    i have a 2500 with 256MB RAM

    machine boots using the following append line for my 2.4.18smp and 2.4.22smp kernels.

    append=" linux mem=exactmap mem=636K@0 mem=255M@1M"

    ref: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=36940

    which eventually indicates that you need to
    use dmesg memory ranges to calculate correct numbers (for each system).

    cross-fingers

Similar Threads

  1. Problem booting from compaq armadam700
    By chouicha in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:50 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 08:02 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5

HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drive MTFDDAK240TCB

$24.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99