Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I connect?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    How do I connect?

    Maybe I'm just asking for an RTFM here but I can't find the right FM to RT.
    Question is: How do I connect my laptop box to my desktop box? both are dual boot Win ME & Knoppix 3.3 (on HD). connection is through net cards & a router. I can connect to the internet ok, Samba connect the boxes together (using Lineigbourhood) when one is running Win & the other is running Knoppix but I can't figure out how to connect Knoppix to Knoppix. I'm sure it should be easy but how do I do it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    It is quite easy to connect from one linux box to another with ssh. Of course make sure you can ping the other box first. Make sure the ssh daemon is running on the machine you want to log into:

    sshd

    then try to ssh in from your other LAN machine. It will depend on your particular setup but something like:

    ssh -l (username on the box you're ssh'ing into) 192.168.0.104

    That's it. If you're using KDE then you also have another cool feature called FISH. Open Konqueror and enter:

    fish://[email protected]

    It will ask for your password of course and then you can graphically drag and drop. There are yet other ways too like scp.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Can't get to first base.
    sshd gives error
    Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
    " /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
    " /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
    Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
    " 2. "
    sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting
    I must have to set something up first!
    PS yes I am using KDE.
    ifconfig says both machines have inet addresses of 192.168.2.120. Ping 192.168.2.120 is OK (I think...it keeps repeating '64 bytes from 192.168.2.120;icmp_seq=<number> ttl=64 time=0.4' but doesn't indicate any errors)
    fish://[email protected] 'error loading fish,could not connect to localhost.

Similar Threads

  1. Connect to LAN
    By cschilbe in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 07:06 AM
  2. connect to the internet
    By sunpascal in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
  3. can not connect under 3.4 or 3.6 but 3.3 works
    By amigaman2 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 05:20 PM
  4. how to connect thru VNC
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:52 PM
  5. can't connect to the net
    By sebke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR picture

Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR

$100.00



Vintage Digitizer Tablet Accessories Lot 16 Button Puck & Stylus P/N 01-0339  picture

Vintage Digitizer Tablet Accessories Lot 16 Button Puck & Stylus P/N 01-0339

$140.00



HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included. picture

HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included.

$69.00



Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s picture

Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s

$89.00



Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL picture

Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL

$60.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



 ULTRA RARE Apple Serial NB Card - Apple Macintosh II NuBUS Hydra Cable Vintage picture

 ULTRA RARE Apple Serial NB Card - Apple Macintosh II NuBUS Hydra Cable Vintage

$700.00



5x Vintage SSS SCP1802D SCP1802LD Ceramic CPU 1802 COSMAC 1978 Gold IC picture

5x Vintage SSS SCP1802D SCP1802LD Ceramic CPU 1802 COSMAC 1978 Gold IC

$224.99



Vintage IMSAI Dual 8” Floppy Disk Drive PerSci 277 Powers On Rare picture

Vintage IMSAI Dual 8” Floppy Disk Drive PerSci 277 Powers On Rare

$1599.00



IBM V.90 56K PCI Data Fax Modem 33L4619 33L4582 Lucent Vintage PC Card picture

IBM V.90 56K PCI Data Fax Modem 33L4619 33L4582 Lucent Vintage PC Card

$29.99