Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I connect?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    How do I connect?

    Maybe I'm just asking for an RTFM here but I can't find the right FM to RT.
    Question is: How do I connect my laptop box to my desktop box? both are dual boot Win ME & Knoppix 3.3 (on HD). connection is through net cards & a router. I can connect to the internet ok, Samba connect the boxes together (using Lineigbourhood) when one is running Win & the other is running Knoppix but I can't figure out how to connect Knoppix to Knoppix. I'm sure it should be easy but how do I do it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    It is quite easy to connect from one linux box to another with ssh. Of course make sure you can ping the other box first. Make sure the ssh daemon is running on the machine you want to log into:

    sshd

    then try to ssh in from your other LAN machine. It will depend on your particular setup but something like:

    ssh -l (username on the box you're ssh'ing into) 192.168.0.104

    That's it. If you're using KDE then you also have another cool feature called FISH. Open Konqueror and enter:

    fish://[email protected]

    It will ask for your password of course and then you can graphically drag and drop. There are yet other ways too like scp.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Can't get to first base.
    sshd gives error
    Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
    " /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
    " /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
    Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
    " 2. "
    sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting
    I must have to set something up first!
    PS yes I am using KDE.
    ifconfig says both machines have inet addresses of 192.168.2.120. Ping 192.168.2.120 is OK (I think...it keeps repeating '64 bytes from 192.168.2.120;icmp_seq=<number> ttl=64 time=0.4' but doesn't indicate any errors)
    fish://[email protected] 'error loading fish,could not connect to localhost.

Similar Threads

  1. Connect to LAN
    By cschilbe in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 07:06 AM
  2. connect to the internet
    By sunpascal in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
  3. can not connect under 3.4 or 3.6 but 3.3 works
    By amigaman2 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 05:20 PM
  4. how to connect thru VNC
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:52 PM
  5. can't connect to the net
    By sebke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


✅ CHIP CSG 8500 - Commodore C64-C, Tested and working. picture

✅ CHIP CSG 8500 - Commodore C64-C, Tested and working.

$39.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore Amiga 1010 3.5

Commodore Amiga 1010 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 880K WORKS GREAT

$179.00



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working picture

Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working

$110.00



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Rare CSG brand 6526A  CIA chip for Commodore 64. Used pull. Guaranteed. From U.S picture

Rare CSG brand 6526A CIA chip for Commodore 64. Used pull. Guaranteed. From U.S

$49.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00