-
No root file system (but system works)
Hi,
I've just done a knx-hdinstall on a Dell Inspiron 4000, and I haven't had much trouble. Most everything works. However, I've been attempting to install a newer kernel, because I want to add the preemptive multitasking kernel patch, and I've noticed something very odd.
mount reports three filesystems: proc, devpts, and usbdevfs. There's no root filesystem, even though there obviously is, as the system works beautifully. The new kernel kernel panics with root filesystem problems, but the original knoppix kernel works fine.
Now, I've also noticed that every time I reboot it mounts proc again, so I get multiple lines in mount of none on /proc type proc (rw).
I've tried mounting /dev/hda5 which is the linux partition, I've tried removing proc and remounting remount,ro /dev/hda5, and all sorts of other things, but nothing works. I mounted /dev/hda5 in /mnt/hda5 (recursive? nah...) and chrooted into it, and got a good / and when I exited was able to umount /proc, which was interesting...not having anything appear when you type mount...=)
Running lilo, using initrd, used make oldconfig and make-kpkg to make the new kernel (from apt-get kernel-source-2.4.20). I think that's all.
Any ideas?
Jeff
Similar Threads
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 09:46 PM
-
By b0b-0001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 05:56 AM
-
By Drewby in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
-
By teagab in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 02:34 PM
-
By WANDr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD
$40.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00