Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: No root file system (but system works)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2

    No root file system (but system works)

    Hi,

    I've just done a knx-hdinstall on a Dell Inspiron 4000, and I haven't had much trouble. Most everything works. However, I've been attempting to install a newer kernel, because I want to add the preemptive multitasking kernel patch, and I've noticed something very odd.

    mount reports three filesystems: proc, devpts, and usbdevfs. There's no root filesystem, even though there obviously is, as the system works beautifully. The new kernel kernel panics with root filesystem problems, but the original knoppix kernel works fine.

    Now, I've also noticed that every time I reboot it mounts proc again, so I get multiple lines in mount of none on /proc type proc (rw).

    I've tried mounting /dev/hda5 which is the linux partition, I've tried removing proc and remounting remount,ro /dev/hda5, and all sorts of other things, but nothing works. I mounted /dev/hda5 in /mnt/hda5 (recursive? nah...) and chrooted into it, and got a good / and when I exited was able to umount /proc, which was interesting...not having anything appear when you type mount...=)

    Running lilo, using initrd, used make oldconfig and make-kpkg to make the new kernel (from apt-get kernel-source-2.4.20). I think that's all.

    Any ideas?

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What date-release of 3.1 are you using? IIRC only the latest or latest two date-releases have mtab fixed so it is "proper" or somewhat proper on a hd install. I think I'm now running 1/1/2003 on my hard drive and the df output is a little goofed up but usable. On my November date-release install I linked /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts and at least was able to see the root filesystem with df. You might look into the FAQ regarding df.

    HTH

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Why no system sound as user...only root
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 09:46 PM
  2. What File System should I use ???
    By b0b-0001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 05:56 AM
  3. What file system?
    By Drewby in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
  4. "Panic cannot mount root file system might help
    By teagab in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 02:34 PM
  5. File System
    By WANDr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 01:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00