Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: LinNeighborhood (11-3-03) -- Can't resolve address

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41

    LinNeighborhood (11-3-03) -- Can't resolve address

    Has anyone else noticed a change in how LinNeighborhood works in the 11-3-03 release?

    I'm running from the CD. I add a host as usual by specifying the host and workgroup names, then querying for an address. No problems at that point, but when I attempt to mount a share I get the error above.

    I'm pretty sure my copy of 11-3-03 is okay (passed MD5 and the "testcd" cheat code). Previous 3.3 releases work fine -- any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I'm not using Knoppix but I get the same error from Linneighborhood 0.6.5-1. I can however mount the share by hand and then Linneighborhood works just fine. Try turning on the log and then try to mount the share. When it fails use the same command and try to mount it by hand. If it works then it seems like a Linneighborhood bug to me.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    This is a bug already reported for linneighborhood. See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=212280

    There is also a patch, but you need to recompile the package: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugre...80&msg=9&att=1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    If you don't need the mount point, but just want to get to the files, you can try the following within konqueror:

    smb://the.ip.address.formachine

    and it will prompt you for the user name and password, allowing you to access the files, cut, paste, etc.

    I sort of gave up on LinNeighborhood for the time being. Good to know there is a known bug though, though it was just me

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    I found a simple workaround. In LinNeighborhood, choose "Edit, Preferences" and click the "Programs" tab. Change "smbmount version" to 2.0.5.

    Now when you mount a share you get a different error, but it works.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7
    In LinNeighborhood, choose "Edit, Preferences" and click the "Programs" tab. Change "smbmount version" to 2.0.5.
    I did the above and I was promt to enter my username and password. I know I entered the right username and password, but it continue to prompt me for ther username and password over and over. Does anyone have the same problem? It work for Knoppix 3.2, but not for Knoppix 3.3. Thanks in advance.

  7. #7
    pau1knopp I want to thank you for your tip putting it in konquer work prefect..
    i have been using Mandrake for a couple of years now and my mother board crashed.. and i am using my step sons lap top and didn't want to mess up his laptop.. and found this software.. and
    this is a god send.. i just am so use to linux and KDE that it is hard to use windows.

    I like this knoppix a lot..
    and the tips wtih konquer..
    I have learned so much in the last couple of days..
    thank you very much
    Naomi

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18
    I had the same problem and commented on it in the Ideas forum. I changed from linneighborhood to Komba2 and it worked perfect so I thought maybe Knoppix should change to Komba being included instead of LN. If you want to try that program I can tell you Komba2 installed perfect for me using synaptic.

Similar Threads

  1. [Newbie] LinNeighborhood - how to make it work?
    By dmpop in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 05:31 PM
  2. LinNeighborhood in Knoppix 3.4
    By SunnyB in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 01:18 PM
  3. Can't resolve address ?
    By koselan in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:21 AM
  4. LinNeighborhood
    By Renfield in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 12:51 AM
  5. Problem with browsing W2k in LinNeighborhood
    By koszopal in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00