Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't mount USB drive in knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Can't mount USB drive in knoppix

    Linux newbie here trying to get rid of M$.

    I cannot seem to get my usb thumb drive to mount in knoppix.

    I am running knoppix on a computer that has windows xp and suse 9.0 on a dual-boot hard drive.


    when I try to mount it by:

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# sudo sh
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# sudo sh
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe usb-storage
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mkdir /mnt/usb
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    or too many mounted file systems
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sdc1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sdd1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sde1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sde1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdf1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sdf1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdg1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sdg1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdh1 /mnt/usb
    mount: /dev/sdh1 is not a valid block device
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/sdi1 /mnt/usb
    mount: special device /dev/sdi1 does not exist
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]#



    Help.......thanks in advance!

    Newbie leaving M$

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Villanova, PA
    Posts
    28
    I'm also quite new, but I have a Kingston Datatraveler USB 2 drive (formatted as FAT32) on Knoppix 3.3 20040209 and all I do is plug it in, and it shows up on the desktop as an scsi hard disk partition.

    From there I usually right-click on the partition and select 'mount' and 'change read/write mode'.

    Going into the console (as a user, root doesn't seem to be necessary) and typing
    mount /dev/sda1
    also works for me... I don't remember if that mounts it read-write or not.

    In both cases my drive then shows up in either /mnt/sda1/ or /mnt/sdb1/ depending on which port I plug it into.

    I just kinda go with what Knoppix wants to do. That said, I've never gotten my USB floppy disk drive to work.

Similar Threads

  1. how to mount external USB DVD drive
    By pubo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
  2. Can't Get Hard Drive to Mount When Booting Up
    By glidetothehoop in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 02:41 PM
  3. Won't mount DVD drive
    By timepilot in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 12:21 AM
  4. How do I get Knoppix to recognize/mount a SATA drive?
    By hfinger in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 11:10 AM
  5. How can I mount my floppy drive??
    By akiruss in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$90.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99