Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I kill a stalled app

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    How do I kill a stalled app

    Somehow I have what I think is a damaged XMMS screen 'running' (it doesn't actually run) frozen on my desktop (KDE). It won't minimize, run or close. How do I get rid of it? I've tried 'kill xmms' from console (response "no such pid"). Is there a Linux eqivalent to Win ctrl-alt-del->shutdown-application?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: How do I kill a stalled app

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Somehow I have what I think is a damaged XMMS screen 'running' (it doesn't actually run) frozen on my desktop (KDE). It won't minimize, run or close. How do I get rid of it? I've tried 'kill xmms' from console (response "no such pid"). Is there a Linux eqivalent to Win ctrl-alt-del->shutdown-application?
    Try ps xa | grep xmms it should return a list of the process running with xmms you will probably see at least 6 or 7 just start killing them off with kill number_of_process if this does not work then kill -9 number_of_process. Also ctrl-atl-esc will bring up a little skull and bones cursor which when clicked on xmms should kill it, just ctrl-esc will bring up the process manager you can then try to kill it off from there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    ctrl-alt-esc worked. Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Stalled downloads
    By Gary999 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
  2. Stalled downloads
    By swazi in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
  3. how do you kill a zombie?
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 08:59 AM
  4. Stalled AT Poor Man's install with KNOPPIX 3.4
    By musclemania2004 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 04:26 AM
  5. Kill...
    By KnoppiXRuleZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



HP ProCurve J9265A 6600-24XG 10GBE Layer3 Gigabit Switch w/ 2 x PSU picture

HP ProCurve J9265A 6600-24XG 10GBE Layer3 Gigabit Switch w/ 2 x PSU

$180.20