Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Antivirus Software for Linux?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    ClamAV (open source) runs on linux. I think they could put that on knoppix and load the definitions into a ramdisk so you could sync it up to the newest version and scan Windows systems.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Maybe you should add the extra 5 9's on there (as in the uptime on a linux/unix system for example) eg. 99.99999% with probably more 9's on the end for the extent of windows problem as compared to any possible "problems" with linux.
    The reason why I said what I said was because of what you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah in a sarcastic tone
    WOW, linux is soooo cool, that you need to make sure that everyone knows that linux cannot be beaten. Windows sucks and linux is the king. Yah we all have heard it.
    Yet windows continues to domminate the market. Windows has killed Novell, Mac, and the others (Though, are rising from the ashes and re-grouping/joining linux/*nix). But still, to a linux user, they refuse to see that truth. Linux still needs to grow and it still has a few years to mature before it is going to be any REAL threat to windows.
    I am just sick of hearing this crap that linux is the savior of the world and petty little things like adding .99999 to the end of linux is just immature. That is why I said an equally immature comment.

    Trolls are usually wise, so I accept that complement. Only I don't have one for you.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    To sum up some of the comments of others (Stephen) you only need a virus scanner on linux if you use it to scan windows boxes or are using it in conjunction with a mail server to scan email (again email going to windows boxes). If you do not fall into one of these two scenerios, then you're wasting your time with the virus scanner.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    Just because you don't have windows systems doesn't mean you can't spread viruses. You could get an e-mail attatchment that you can't open that you forward to someone else who has windows who opens it. Plus virus infected e-mails coming in just waste space. Scrubbing them is a big help. (My yahoo account gets filled up with 6mb of "Latest Microsoft Security Patch" each day.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    (My yahoo account gets filled up with 6mb of "Latest Microsoft Security Patch" each day.
    Try Swendeleter works great less filling in both flavors of the OS.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3

    can win box get infected?

    I just got started with Knoppix but I fear without my firewall and virus software running, my WinXP might get infected. I've just started witn Linux and can't give up everything from WinXP yet. I previously got burnt with Mandrake and have stayed away for a year. I'm back to try open source again but I just have some doubts about my security .

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: can win box get infected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgermc
    I just got started with Knoppix but I fear without my firewall and virus software running, my WinXP might get infected. I've just started witn Linux and can't give up everything from WinXP yet. I previously got burnt with Mandrake and have stayed away for a year. I'm back to try open source again but I just have some doubts about my security .
    Don't worry about viruses. Linux wont get infected and neither will XP (I'm assuming XP is on another partition and tuhs not running when Linux is running...of course we can't guarantee it won't be infected when XP itself is running

    Using a firewall is not a bad idea though. You might want to try Firestarter. apt-get install firestarter

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3

    Re: can win box get infected?

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgermc
    I just got started with Knoppix but I fear without my firewall and virus software running, my WinXP might get infected. I've just started witn Linux and can't give up everything from WinXP yet. I previously got burnt with Mandrake and have stayed away for a year. I'm back to try open source again but I just have some doubts about my security .
    Don't worry about viruses. Linux wont get infected and neither will XP (I'm assuming XP is on another partition and tuhs not running when Linux is running...of course we can't guarantee it won't be infected when XP itself is running

    Using a firewall is not a bad idea though. You might want to try Firestarter. apt-get install firestarter
    Thanks for the firewall advice. I just run knoppix from the CD and see my hard drive lite come on. I just wondered why my drive is being acessed.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: can win box get infected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgermc
    Thanks for the firewall advice. I just run knoppix from the CD and see my hard drive lite come on. I just wondered why my drive is being acessed.
    Do you already have a /swap partition on the drive if so Knoppix will use it by default.

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3

    Re: can win box get infected?

    I don't have a Linux partition just the Win swap file.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgermc
    Thanks for the firewall advice. I just run knoppix from the CD and see my hard drive lite come on. I just wondered why my drive is being acessed.
    Do you already have a /swap partition on the drive if so Knoppix will use it by default.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Software for Linux
    By Seyyapc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM
  2. New to linux, need a antivirus and firewall
    By Zippylds in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 01:46 PM
  3. Linux Software for Nokia 6220?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 10:41 AM
  4. PROBLEMS INSTALLING LINUX SOFTWARE!?!?!?!
    By lee1212 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:31 PM
  5. Any packet-writing (CD-rw) software for Linux?
    By massai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00