Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: cant access net

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2

    cant access net

    running 3.2 off cdrom, pc networked through a lynksys router, have an etherfast nic. the setup network config utility thingy identifies one adapter in my sys and designates it eth0 but when i try to broadcast, i get a failed error. my router is set to dhcp=yes. when i try a ping to www.cnn.com, i get "unknown server" i am new to anything unix but really really really wanna dump bill gates if i can. please help. BTW, i have an XBOX which has been modded to run linux (gentoox actually) and it is on the same network with the linksys and it connects to the net fine if that means anything.) thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Type "ifconfig -a" and post the results.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    It needs to have the DNS server defined. Post the contents of /etc/resolv.conf while your at it. It should look something like

    nameserver 206.77.33.199

    If your local interface (127.0.0.1) is the only thing there, that's your issue.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    okay, here is the results of ifconfig -a, it may be a letter or two off as i had to copy it by hand and retype it here, as i couldnt figure out how to print it or save it to floppy. so here goes:

    ETHO link encap: ethernet haddr 00:A0:CC:E0:36:A7
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 METRIC 1
    Rx Packets:0 Errors:0 Dropped:0 Overruns:0 frame:0
    Tx Packets:0 Errors:4 Dropped:2 Overruns:0 Carrier:4
    Collisions:0 Txqueuelen:100

    lo Link Encap Local Loopback
    inet address: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
    Up Loopback Running MTU 16436 Metric:1
    Rx Packets:52 Errors:0 Dropped:0 Overruns:0 frame:0
    Tx Packets:52 Errors:0 Dropped:0 Overruns:0 Carrier:0
    Collisions:0 Txqueuelen:0
    Rx Bytes:3464 (3.3 KiB) Tx Bytes 3464 (3.3 KiB)

    and, I did look at etc\resolv.conf and, in fact, the nameserver only has 127.0.0.1

    so i guess the next thing i need to do is find out the address of my server (would it be 192.168.1.1? as in my router?) and enter it into the resolv.conf and save. yes?

    this is an edit:
    well, i cant seem to do the above, cuz, i dont have permission to write. when i right clik the resolv.conf file and select properties, the option to enable writing is grayed out. i tried to log in as super user (su at konsole) but i dont know the password. i tried root and knoppix, neither work.
    i will keep searching

    this is another edit:
    i loaded the cd into my sons puter which is on the same router as my puter, and it accesses the net just fine WTF?? i think i will try to boot to knoppix from the xbox (also on the router) and see if i can access the net from there. what the f*** can be preventing my machine from accessing?? help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

  5. #5
    you can access a root console, search in the menus
    btw, I have the same problem. I have a small adsl modem/router (IP:192.168.1.254) and another PC with WINXP (192.168.1.1). I set the Linux's network interface's IP to 192.168.1.3.
    From Linux machine I can't ping nothing, but I can see a flashing led when I do the ping! What's the matter?
    If it was a firewall problem (ipchains, as someone told me), I'd not be able to see the flashing LED, am I right?

    Thnx
    Marco

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14

    gateway defined?

    hi!
    i had a similar problem. sometimes defining a gateway helps.
    i dont know how to define one permanently, but use
    route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip of your router or whatever you use to access the net)
    i hope it works

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: cant access net

    Quote Originally Posted by dankehoe1
    .... when i try a ping to www.cnn.com, i get "unknown server" ....
    What's your current status?

    Trying to ping www.cnn.com is too big of a first step to tell us much when it fails. Try to ping 192.168.0.1 (or, if I remember this address wrong, ping the ip address for your Linksys, whatever it is). If you can't ping that then you sure can't get to the Internet; if you can ping it then you are past a lot of the problems I've had and it should just be a configuration issue.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by motumboe
    you can access a root console, search in the menus
    btw, I have the same problem. I have a small adsl modem/router (IP:192.168.1.254) and another PC with WINXP (192.168.1.1). I set the Linux's network interface's IP to 192.168.1.3.
    From Linux machine I can't ping nothing, but I can see a flashing led when I do the ping! What's the matter?
    If it was a firewall problem (ipchains, as someone told me), I'd not be able to see the flashing LED, am I right?

    Thnx
    Marco
    my problems were solved by running sudo mii-tool -r before runnning sudo netcardconfig.
    Now I can surf the net with no problems

Similar Threads

  1. C++ and web access
    By outsider in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
  2. need access to HD
    By senorian in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 11:04 PM
  3. DVD + FDD can't Access.
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:39 PM
  4. HD access possible?
    By cehjohnson in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:13 PM
  5. cannot access on some web sites
    By hadrien001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$248.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$693.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00