Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need help getting mit-scheme

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5

    Need help getting mit-scheme

    I'm a noob to Knoppix and Linux in general and I'm trying to install mit-scheme on knoppix but I'm having trouble. I already tried
    apt-get install mit-scheme
    I really need to install this to use for class and am running out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Need help getting mit-scheme

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonBlade
    I'm a noob to Knoppix and Linux in general and I'm trying to install mit-scheme on knoppix but I'm having trouble. I already tried
    apt-get install mit-scheme
    I really need to install this to use for class and am running out of ideas. Thanks in advance.
    Can you post the output of the command so we can see it? Are you running from the HD or CD?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    I am running off the CD. I try apt-get install mit-scheme under user knoppix and get

    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

    I switch to root and get the same response. After remounting /KNOPPIX to rw I get

    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package mit-scheme

    It says it can't find the package but on debian.org's site they call the package mit-scheme. The link is

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/...it-scheme.html

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    I also just tried downloading the package from the above site directly and installing it with kpackage but it won't let me. This is the message I get.

    <kpackage/mit-scheme_7.7.90-4_i386.deb' echo RESULT=$?
    dpkg: unable to create /var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i: Permission denied
    RESULT=2

    Any ideas?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You can not install most[1] software to the CD it is read only if you wish to install new software you will need to install to the HD.

    [1] Some software like the flash plugin and drivers can be installed to the ramdisk but it is not really practical for programs.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    I see. Do you know of any way I can install it to ramdisk? If not, is there some other way I can compile scheme code?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    Any ideas at all?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13
    You can install knoppix to your hard drive (wiping out
    your hard drive!) with knoppix-installer. Then you will
    be able to add scheme like any other debian package.

    Or you can remaster your own custom version of knoppix
    to include the mit-scheme package. There's plenty of
    documentation discussing how to remaster knoppix if you
    look for it and your fellow classmates might be eternally
    grateful.

    But if you are really just concerned with running MIT
    scheme, you could just get the binaries from
    http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/, untar them
    onto a USB thumb drive, and run them from there. I can't
    guarantee that it will work, but I suspect it would. No
    need to fuss with the Debian package.

Similar Threads

  1. Using MY partition scheme..
    By Ryan450 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
  2. Partitioning scheme for 2 distros on 1 hard disk
    By net_benjo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
  3. Partition Scheme Advice Wanted
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T5820 Homelab PC - Xeon W-2125 @ 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GPU picture

Dell Precision T5820 Homelab PC - Xeon W-2125 @ 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GPU

$349.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99