-
HDD iso image install method doesn't work
I tried the method detailed at:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434#1625
It didn't work.
Here is what I did:
None of the linux mini distros can see my usb cd-rom, and I can't boot from it, so I copied the knoppix iso to a cf card and mounted it with the parted-usb distro. I created partitions 1, 2 and 3 on my /dev/hda. /dev/hda1 is ext2, 64mb. /dev/hda2 is linux swap, 192 mb. /dev/hda3 is about 3.5gb ext3.
I copied the iso to the hda3 partition, and mounted it with the loopback device. After copying the files into hda3, I rebooted with the knoppix boot.img floppy, and attempted to boot knoppix by entering:
knoppix home=/dev/hda3
after the usual messages knoppix dumped me in the lame rescue shell, telling me that it had failed to find the knoppix partition. I tried mounting hda3 in the rescue shell, only to get an error message referring to some modules that failed to load. The ext2 hda1 partition mounted just fine though.
Is there a problem booting knoppix from an ext3 file system?
-
Just to be clear, you've got an ISO file on /dev/hda3. You mounted the ISO as a loopback device and then copied the "/KNOPPIX" directory from the ISO onto /dev/hda3?
You really only need /KNOPPIX on /dev/hda3 in order to boot, but you don't need to specify "home=/dev/hda3" as the boot process should detect the files there.
-SUO
Similar Threads
-
By raghukp in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
-
By gildedlink in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-28-2005, 09:22 PM
-
By metzelplik in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:18 PM
-
By Coume in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 04:47 PM
-
By VeeDubb in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99