Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: trouble booting a knoppix CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29

    trouble booting a knoppix CD

    I am having this problem with booting knoppix on my windows 98 computer. because my computer only has the options to boot from the A and C drives I have already used a floppy to point my computer to the knoppix cd. Although, this hasn't worked. for some reason the floppy can't find the cd. What should I do?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    Re: trouble booting a knoppix CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    for some reason the floppy can't find the cd. What should I do?
    Please tell us what messages appear when you boot from floppy: it is hard to suggest anything when all we know is "it didn't work".

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    You could try putting smart boot manager on a floppy and see if that will boot the cdrom drive:

    http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29
    chrisb, to answer your question, for a more detailed description of my problem go to the third page of the General in this forum and I have another posting called "earlier version of Knoppix". I started this posting because I had not checked my posting on this site for a few days and it had made its way towards the back of the forum with the later postings so no one was looking at my posting. also I wanted a more descriptive title so I created a new post on my same problem, but with a different name.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29
    L2Cache, i went to http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ to look at the smart boot manager you were talking about. When I looked at the download section there were lots of options. i am wondering which version you would recomend? I am a newbe so could you help me out a bit here?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    just use the 3.7 DOS version to install.

    However, if you make a floppy from KNOPPIX(following its procedure) and boot and cannot see the CD, BTM is not going to help as what it essentially does is to sort of 'load the CD boot image from the CD-ROM' and hands over. It is no different than booting with a floppy after that(the CD's boot image is the same as you made on floppy).

    What kind of CD-ROM you have ? If KNOPPIX floppy cannot see it, it is most likely the driver does not support it and not much can be done.

    You can try copy the big \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to c:\ then boot with the floppy.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29
    I suspect you are right about it still not working with the BTM. But, I don't think I can copy the "\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to c:\ " because I can't complete the startup in windows?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    For SBM, you download the: sbminst.exe (DOS executable) and
    cwsdpmi.exe (support file)
    Put them on a floppy, run sbminst.exe from DOS, install SBM on the floppy with the boot cdrom option enabled, then boot from the floppy.
    It may be able to boot your cdrom drive. It works for me.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29
    I copied the two files from http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ on the same floppy as the pointer file. will try it soon.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    The SBM files should be put on an empty floppy. When you run sbminst.exe and install SBM on the floppy, it will take over the whole floppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble Booting Knoppix
    By skartel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 09:31 AM
  2. Trouble booting Knoppix in Win XP
    By Joe_Smith in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:12 PM
  3. trouble booting
    By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
  4. Trouble booting Knoppix
    By chuckywang in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
  5. more trouble booting knoppix
    By edc in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard picture

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard

$84.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99