-
Epson 740 printerinstall-help needed for newbie but wannabie
Have spent a few enjoyable hours running the CD & familiarising myself with this new system. Great for system recovery! Need help Installing an Epson 740 printer. It is recognised & correctly named under Info Centre/USB, but when going through the printer config, Test produces no result. Have created passwords in both root & knoppix. Would really appreciate some help...nothing in the forum or FAQ that I haven't done (I think!!)
Caid
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had some problems with configuring an epson printer a while back. For some strange reason, it didn't work if I chose the configuration icon on the KDE dock, but when I started at K, and then configure (or, maybe Knoppix -> configure), then printer, it worked fine. Both methods should have worked the same, but they didn't in my case.
-

Originally Posted by
j.drake
I had some problems with configuring an epson printer a while back. For some strange reason, it didn't work if I chose the configuration icon on the KDE dock, but when I started at K, and then configure (or, maybe Knoppix -> configure), then printer, it worked fine. Both methods should have worked the same, but they didn't in my case.
Thanks for the tip. I had tried both ways with no result.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have no luck printing with an hdinstall. I can only get CUPS to print using KONQUEROR http://localhost:631 as root or as the user defined during installation. And that's only for a local printer, forget printing overa LAN. What am I missing?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!!
TIA,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I have no luck printing with an hdinstall. I can only get CUPS to print using KONQUEROR
http://localhost:631 as root or as the user defined during installation. And that's only for a local printer, forget printing overa LAN. What am I missing?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!!
TIA,
Have you checked in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and made sure that is listening on the network and not just to the localhost there are options in there for just this purpose.
-
Hey fellas, don't forget me!
Any ideas about the original Epson problem? Really would like to get this sorted PLEEEEEEEASE!!
Caid
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Hey fellas, don't forget me!

Originally Posted by
caid
Any ideas about the original Epson problem? Really would like to get this sorted PLEEEEEEEASE!!
Caid
Go to this page and download and save the ppd file for your printer and follow the generic instructions for the CUPS setup page for step 2 on this page you should have saved the dowloaded ppd file to /usr/share/cups/model/ steps 3 to 6 you can cut'n'paste into a root shell note: step 6 always fails for me but the printing still works. Then to setup your printer use the http://localhost:631 url click on administration and enter the root user and password in the dialog then add printer and follow the wizard and use the Epson_Driver_ppd_dowloaded that will be in the list and that's it. Sorry should have repiled to the original question as well.
[edit]
Almost forgot you will want to install mtink and escputil for the ink level and epson utilities. Useful alias in your ~/.bashrc alias ink="escputil -i -r /dev/lp0" it allows you to check the ink level from the command line with the command ink.
[/edit]
-
I too have the Epson 740i printer, running on Knoppix 3.4 (2.6 kernel) and have the exact same trouble. I have followed your instructions from LinuxPrinting.org, to no avail. The printer appears to be set up properly when I open the KDE printer configuration program, says it is "idle, accepting jobs," but will not print out a test page no matter which driver I specify, and when I try to print anything, it goes through all the motions on the screen, but the printer never responds in the slightest. Yes it is turned on, yes the USB cable is attached properly, yes it is a good cable, it works fine in windows 98.
Any further ideas anybody? Thanks in advance! This forum is a blessing!
Similar Threads
-
By andys in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
-
By ganesh_narayanan_cm in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
-
By nishtya in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:11 AM
-
By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
-
By purplehaze in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99