Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Epson 740 printerinstall-help needed for newbie but wannabie

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Epson 740 printerinstall-help needed for newbie but wannabie

    Have spent a few enjoyable hours running the CD & familiarising myself with this new system. Great for system recovery! Need help Installing an Epson 740 printer. It is recognised & correctly named under Info Centre/USB, but when going through the printer config, Test produces no result. Have created passwords in both root & knoppix. Would really appreciate some help...nothing in the forum or FAQ that I haven't done (I think!!)

    Caid

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I had some problems with configuring an epson printer a while back. For some strange reason, it didn't work if I chose the configuration icon on the KDE dock, but when I started at K, and then configure (or, maybe Knoppix -> configure), then printer, it worked fine. Both methods should have worked the same, but they didn't in my case.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I had some problems with configuring an epson printer a while back. For some strange reason, it didn't work if I chose the configuration icon on the KDE dock, but when I started at K, and then configure (or, maybe Knoppix -> configure), then printer, it worked fine. Both methods should have worked the same, but they didn't in my case.
    Thanks for the tip. I had tried both ways with no result.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I have no luck printing with an hdinstall. I can only get CUPS to print using KONQUEROR http://localhost:631 as root or as the user defined during installation. And that's only for a local printer, forget printing overa LAN. What am I missing?

    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!!

    TIA,

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I have no luck printing with an hdinstall. I can only get CUPS to print using KONQUEROR http://localhost:631 as root or as the user defined during installation. And that's only for a local printer, forget printing overa LAN. What am I missing?

    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!!

    TIA,
    Have you checked in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and made sure that is listening on the network and not just to the localhost there are options in there for just this purpose.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Hey fellas, don't forget me!

    Any ideas about the original Epson problem? Really would like to get this sorted PLEEEEEEEASE!!

    Caid

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Hey fellas, don't forget me!

    Quote Originally Posted by caid
    Any ideas about the original Epson problem? Really would like to get this sorted PLEEEEEEEASE!!

    Caid
    Go to this page and download and save the ppd file for your printer and follow the generic instructions for the CUPS setup page for step 2 on this page you should have saved the dowloaded ppd file to /usr/share/cups/model/ steps 3 to 6 you can cut'n'paste into a root shell note: step 6 always fails for me but the printing still works. Then to setup your printer use the http://localhost:631 url click on administration and enter the root user and password in the dialog then add printer and follow the wizard and use the Epson_Driver_ppd_dowloaded that will be in the list and that's it. Sorry should have repiled to the original question as well.

    [edit]
    Almost forgot you will want to install mtink and escputil for the ink level and epson utilities. Useful alias in your ~/.bashrc alias ink="escputil -i -r /dev/lp0" it allows you to check the ink level from the command line with the command ink.
    [/edit]

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6
    I too have the Epson 740i printer, running on Knoppix 3.4 (2.6 kernel) and have the exact same trouble. I have followed your instructions from LinuxPrinting.org, to no avail. The printer appears to be set up properly when I open the KDE printer configuration program, says it is "idle, accepting jobs," but will not print out a test page no matter which driver I specify, and when I try to print anything, it goes through all the motions on the screen, but the printer never responds in the slightest. Yes it is turned on, yes the USB cable is attached properly, yes it is a good cable, it works fine in windows 98.

    Any further ideas anybody? Thanks in advance! This forum is a blessing!

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot print - EPSON C60
    By andys in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
  2. Help Needed: Newbie : AC 97 Sound Card (Dell Dimension 8300)
    By ganesh_narayanan_cm in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
  3. NIC newbie- onboard adapter help needed
    By nishtya in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:11 AM
  4. Newbie basic advice needed
    By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
  5. Speedtouch USB help needed (newbie Q)
    By purplehaze in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Protectli Vault FW4A 4-Port Firewall Intel E3845 AES-NI 4GB RAM 120GB mSATA picture

Protectli Vault FW4A 4-Port Firewall Intel E3845 AES-NI 4GB RAM 120GB mSATA

$169.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50