-
No modem & no usb-stick access when booting from hd
After everything worked fine when booting from CD (modem, usb-stick, usb-camera) I installed the same Knoppix-version 3.3 on hd. But now I can't access my modem by kppp thru ttyS0 (error message "Can not open Modem Device") and no access to the usb-devices (error mesasage by USBView: "Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices"). What shall I do to get these working and where can I find what the differences are between CDRom boot & booting from hd?
thx in advance,
kabs
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: No modem & no usb-stick access when booting from hd

Originally Posted by
kabs
After everything worked fine when booting from CD (modem, usb-stick, usb-camera) I installed the same Knoppix-version 3.3 on hd. But now I can't access my modem by kppp thru ttyS0 (error message "Can not open Modem Device") and no access to the usb-devices (error mesasage by USBView: "Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices"). What shall I do to get these working and where can I find what the differences are between CDRom boot & booting from hd?
thx in advance,
kabs
For the USB you need a line:
Code:
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
In the file /etc/fstab, I don't know about the modem I never use one but there are plenty of post dealing with it here it looks like a permission problem you should check the /dev/modem device and make sure you are a member of the groups dip and dailout with the command groups in a console wndow so more information as to the type of modem could be helpful as well.
-
Now everything is working fine, because I used "sudo knoppix-installer" instead of "knx-hdinstall".
kabs
Similar Threads
-
By davman1971 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:28 AM
-
By bhasker varma in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
-
By pallendo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By De Vince in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 12:33 AM
-
By pro-logic in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.01

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99