Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Problem using UTF-8 with hd-installed Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Problem using UTF-8 with hd-installed Knoppix

    I installed Knoppix 3.3 in my hd. It by default uses the "C" locale, but I want it to use en_US.UTF-8. It has support for that locale already, just setting the LANG environment variable is enough.

    So far so good. But I wanted to make this changes system-wide. So I changed to /etc/sysconfig/i18n file. Here's the new file:
    Code:
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    COUNTRY="us"
    LANGUAGE="en"
    CHARSET="UTF-8"
    XMODIFIERS=""
    After reinstalling, a weird thing happens. When I open a program from the KDE menus (Konsole, for example), it does not use UTF-8 properly. I have some UTF-8 text in the prompt, and it appears as if it was ISO8859-1 (or -15). But the LANG environment variable is set, and the locale command shows that the correct locale has been set. If I run another Konsole from there, this second one is loaded correctly in UTF-8, with the correct fonts, etc.

    The same happens for other applications: with Kedit, for example, I cannot type non ISO8859-1 characters if it is started from the KDE menu, but if it is started from a Konsole, it works correctly.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    [SOLVED] Problem using UTF-8 with hd-installed Knoppix

    Well, I still haven't discovered the exact cause, but adding a

    EXPORT LANG=en_US.UTF-8

    in my ~/.Xsession solved the problem...

Similar Threads

  1. I've got Knoppix installed on HD, but...
    By guicaste in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 01:30 AM
  2. Just Installed Knoppix!
    By naventus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
  3. how can I get in the hd-installed Knoppix?
    By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 08:50 AM
  4. Tuxracer X-problem with hd-installed 3.3
    By Markus in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 06:56 PM
  5. just installed knoppix to HDD and......
    By blahblahblah in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 03:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Force Gaming Motherboard picture

MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Force Gaming Motherboard

$180.00