Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I new in knoppix linux world...my problem is...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Polinyà-Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    4

    I new in knoppix linux world...my problem is...

    When I'm working with cd live I see 3 cd-rom drives that I've got in my computer.....

    When I'm working with installed knoppix on hd.I see only one cd-rom drive by me created..so, how can I create and access the other two?(DVD & CD-Writter).

    Be patience with me I'm walking for firtsh time on linux.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards.........almola.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: I new in knoppix linux world...my problem is...

    Quote Originally Posted by almola
    When I'm working with cd live I see 3 cd-rom drives that I've got in my computer.....

    When I'm working with installed knoppix on hd.I see only one cd-rom drive by me created..so, how can I create and access the other two?(DVD & CD-Writter).

    Be patience with me I'm walking for firtsh time on linux.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards.........almola.
    Yes installing to the hard drive does change some things, but we should be able to get your other drives working. The drives themselves should actually have been detected fine. Look at the file /etc/fstab in a text editor. You should see all three of your cd's dvd's there. They will look something like this:

    Code:
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    As long as you see all three devices there, all you need to do is mount the drives.

    You can mount the drives either from the command line or by creating links to them on your desktop. For example If I wanted to mount the cd device listed above I would simply issue the following command from a shell

    Code:
    mount /cdrom
    Knoppix uses autofs so you actually should not have to issue the "umount /cdrom" command to unmount the drive, but having said this autofs will not let you eject the cdrom if you have a /cdrom open in a shell or in Konqueror. Exit from these and type "eject" from the command line or simply press the eject button on your cdrom.

    If you want to put links to your cdrom devices, simply right click on the desktop, select "Create New", select "CD ROM Device", click on the "Device" tab at the top of the box and use the pull down menu to select the proper device (these are the same devices listed in your /etc/fstab file)

    BTW, if by chance you don't have any cdrom devices listed in your fstab (not likely), then simpy run "rebuildfstab" as root.

    This should pretty much cover it.

    Come back here if you run into any more problems.

    Adam

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Polinyà-Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    4

    From almola to Adam

    After running rebuildfstab, my fstab file look's like this:

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    #/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
    #/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

    Then I can only install one cdrom, it is done.

    But I can not install the other two drives.

    When my system is booting I see that knoppix detects the three drives,by name and by links (scd0..1..2).

    I've been tryng writting like root on filesystemtable (fstab) a new line ....

    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0..and creating a dvd dir in the root dir..but the result is ---no medium found---.

    Now I'm queryng your help. Realy I not understand. Sorry..

    Thanks in advance for your answer.

    Regards..........almola.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: From almola to Adam

    Quote Originally Posted by almola
    After running rebuildfstab, my fstab file look's like this:

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    #/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
    #/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

    Then I can only install one cdrom, it is done.

    But I can not install the other two drives.

    When my system is booting I see that knoppix detects the three drives,by name and by links (scd0..1..2).

    I've been tryng writting like root on filesystemtable (fstab) a new line ....

    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0..and creating a dvd dir in the root dir..but the result is ---no medium found---.

    Now I'm queryng your help. Realy I not understand. Sorry..

    Thanks in advance for your answer.

    Regards..........almola.
    Change the /etc/fstab to this:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
    /dev/hda2  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
    /dev/hda5  none  swap  sw  0  0
    proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    /dev/cdrom  /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/scd1  /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/scd2  /cdrw  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    #/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    #/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    Then as root in a console window

    Code:
    cd /
    mkdir cdrw
    And you now should be able to make shortcuts on the desktop for the devices and be able to access them. note: if the dvd gets detected as the scd2 device then change the order with the cdrw in the /etc/fstab.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Polinyà-Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    4

    Thanks Stephen...

    All my drives are working .. I've got a lot of questions about Knoppix .. but steep by steep...thanks a lot again to all..we'll see.

    Regards ....... almola.

Similar Threads

  1. hello world! did I have an really stuppid idea?
    By gmamorim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 03:41 AM
  2. Linux booting problem
    By M. Silva in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 11:49 AM
  3. The baddest download manager in the world.
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:45 PM
  4. ... in a post-hdinstall world...
    By _jz_ in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 02:52 AM
  5. PC World Knoppix article online
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$88.75



Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Intel SSD DC S3520 Series 480GB 2.5

Intel SSD DC S3520 Series 480GB 2.5" SATA III 6Gb/s Hot Plug (SSDSC2BB480G7)

$100.00



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00