Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: OK, installed fine. But I want that COOL knoppix theme back!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    OK, installed fine. But I want that COOL knoppix theme back!

    I've never been into themes and such, but it was love at fist sight.

    I see theres a background pic on the CD, but how do I keep the entire "presentation" of Knoppix terminal session colors, icons, etc., the same with a HD install.

    BTW, the "look" of Knoppix 3.3 is first rate.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    Maybe I found an answer....

    Knoppix has a "Save Configuration" archive after the CD sets up. If I could email that to myself through a Yahoo account, perhaps I could run apply that to a hard drive install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    I found this and was able to creat the email I wanted. Let's see if I can restore now . . .

    Hi there,

    I like this idea. I suggested it myself a couple of days ago but I think it might take a while to have it officially incorporated into the official knoppix. In any case, in the meantime, you can accomplish some of the same functionality by using these scripts:

    #!/bin/bash
    # Save this script as file savehome in the knoppix directory
    # This script takes the contents of the knoppix home directory and
    # saves it to a file
    tar -cvvf /ramdisk/knxhome.tar /home/knoppix
    gzip /ramdisk/knxhome.tar
    scp /ramdisk/knxhome.tar.gz [email protected]:/home/username/knxhome.tar.gz
    # end of savehome script


    #!/bin/bash
    # Save this script as file restorehome in the knoppix directory
    # This script restores the knoppix home directory from a remote file
    scp [email protected]:/home/username/knxhome.tar.gz /ramdisk
    cd /
    tar xfvz /ramdisk/knxhome.tar.gz
    # end of restorehome script


    I used scp instead of ftp because it is secure but you should be able to use ftp if security is not a consideration. After you save these files in the knoppix directory, make a copy of the restorehome script on your website also. (scp ~knoppix/restorehome [email protected]:/home/username/restorehome).

    How to use these scripts:
    1) before ending your knoppix session run the ~knoppix/savehome script from a console

    That's it. Everything should now be saved, including all settings for the knoppix user. You can turn off the PC now.

    2) Next time you use knoppix, boot in text-mode (knoppix 2)
    3) at the # prompt, type "wget mysite.org/~username/restorehome" , you may need to adjust the path depending on how your website is set up.
    4) at the # prompt type "./restorehome"
    5) at the # prompt type "init 5"
    Voila, you are back in your Xwindows session where you left off.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 theme
    By juaninse in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 05:48 PM
  2. installed icewm, cannot get back into kde
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 01:58 AM
  3. Plastik theme not present in Knoppix 3.4
    By JSantos in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 07:25 PM
  4. knoppix KDE theme...
    By KeiVi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 12:13 AM
  5. Another cool thing about Knoppix
    By Bobmeister in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Disk IIc A2M4050 5.25 Floppy Drive Original Box Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple Disk IIc A2M4050 5.25 Floppy Drive Original Box Tested Working

$144.99



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 ADB Vintage Macintosh Apple IIgs Full Size Tested picture

AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 ADB Vintage Macintosh Apple IIgs Full Size Tested

$54.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Extended Keyboard II M3501 - Alps Switches - Tested Good picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Extended Keyboard II M3501 - Alps Switches - Tested Good

$67.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00