-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: bfree - how do you use this perl script?

Originally Posted by
Aleu
I have two Knoppix distros let say one from August and one from November 14th.
This is what I am doing so far:
1. I run knoppix from the old distro and give the command "dpkg -l > Knoppix_OLD"
2. I repeat this with a new distro "dpkg -l > Knoppix_NEW"
3. Then I run "diff Knoppix_OLD KNOPPIX_NEW and ..."?
I have your script saved as "Knoppix_diferences.pl" in the same directory.
Sould I add "#!/usr/bin/perl" at the very top of your script?
How can I use this script. What should be the correct procedure?
Thanks
Sorry, I wasn't very clear about it! You are getting there but just need a couple more things.
First, you need to make the script I provided executable (chmod +x Knoppix_differences.pl) or else you will need to run it as "perl Knoppix_differences.pl". If you make it executable, you will need to add the #!/usr/bin/perl to the first line of the script. I will assume you make it executable for the remaining instructions.
Then you need to feed the diff between the files into the script. You could do "diff knoppix_old knoppix_new | ./Knoppix_differences.pl" or else you could do "diff knoppix_old knoppix_new > knoppix_differences.txt" and then "./Knoppix_differenes.pl knoppix_differences.txt". Either of these approaches will print out the information to the screen. If you want to save them into a file, just add "> knoppix_diff_results.txt" to the end of the command where you are running the perl script.
I hope this is all clear and makes sense.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 44
Last Post: 12-17-2003, 08:27 PM
-
Replies: 40
Last Post: 09-30-2003, 01:38 PM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:23 AM
-
By gjakuipers in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-25-2003, 12:22 PM
-
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-24-2003, 05:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Console 100% Tested Working
$500.00