Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: New Knoppix release V3.3-2003-11-14

  1. #21
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10
    You have to use overburning. Nero does that very well.
    Jorge

    Quote Originally Posted by aos
    However, if I open Nero to burn the image, it complains that the image size is too large to fit the CD! I am using normal 80 minute CDR. What am I missing? I tried setting disk at once and close disk (which is usually what the problem is) but it didn't help. I realize that this might be already explained somewhere but the only burning info I found was in german which I don't speak.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    So, which kernel version does it have? Does "linux-kernel-h 2.5.999-test7- -> 0.5-1" mean it now has a 2.5.xx kernel? I'm slightly confused, as DistroWatch says it has kernel 2.4.22... (Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob). Thx!

  3. #23
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ozark Mts, USA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by aos
    This is my first time with knoppix, so I downloaded the ISO (14-11-2003). MD5 seems to match, and the file size is 732,553,216.

    I downloaded 2003-11-14-EN; the file size was 732,551,168. MD5 failed. I downloaded from another site. Same file size, MD5 failed again.

    I burned a disc and it worked but I wonder if I should try again?

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by EdlinUser

    I downloaded 2003-11-14-EN; the file size was 732,551,168. MD5 failed. I downloaded from another site. Same file size, MD5 failed again.

    I burned a disc and it worked but I wonder if I should try again?

    Download it again, but this time use BitTorrent. Your MD5 is pretty much guaranteed to be correct if you use BitTorrent.

    I used BT to download this yesterday. Took less than two hours. I left BT running afterwards, and in fact it's still running; in the last 16 hours I have uploaded 500 MB of this file to other peers.

    As stonent mentioned earlier, the torrents are here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/

    Click the link in the Torrent column to get the torrent. (Clicking the link in the Name column will take you to a page with upload and download statistics.)

    If you haven't installed BT yet, go here first: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html



    Here's a trick:

    You've already downloaded 700 MB of file, but you don't know which parts of the file are correct and which are bad. Perhaps the first 699 MB of the file you have are correct. If this is true, then you can use BT to intelligently fix the file! This is because BT breaks the file into chunks and uses hash codes to check the validity of each chunk. If the first n chunks are correct, it will skip those and just download the other ones.

    You can try this: Create a new destination folder to hold the BT download. Within this folder, create another folder called KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-14-EN (must be exactly this string, so copy & paste it from this message). Now move your ISO file to that folder.

    When you open the torrent, tell BT to save the download to that new destination folder (not to the folder within it). Who knows, maybe this will work and you'll be done in five minutes...

  5. #25
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    In nero you need to select to have the cd finalized. This will alow you to burn it to disk and get rid of the error stating that it is too large. Nero 6 should ask you if you want to finalize the disk to make it fit at the time of the error.

  6. #26
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    bfree - how do you use this perl script?

    Guys,

    First of all bfree thanks for your post here. I was looking for something very simillar to what you have proposed. Unfortunatelly, I do not know how to use your script.
    Could anyone guide me through?

    I have two Knoppix distros let say one from August and one from November 14th.
    This is what I am doing so far:
    1. I run knoppix from the old distro and give the command "dpkg -l > Knoppix_OLD"
    2. I repeat this with a new distro "dpkg -l > Knoppix_NEW"
    3. Then I run "diff Knoppix_OLD KNOPPIX_NEW and ..."?
    I have your script saved as "Knoppix_diferences.pl" in the same directory.
    Sould I add "#!/usr/bin/perl" at the very top of your script?
    How can I use this script. What should be the correct procedure?
    Thanks

  7. #27
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: bfree - how do you use this perl script?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu
    I have two Knoppix distros let say one from August and one from November 14th.
    This is what I am doing so far:
    1. I run knoppix from the old distro and give the command "dpkg -l > Knoppix_OLD"
    2. I repeat this with a new distro "dpkg -l > Knoppix_NEW"
    3. Then I run "diff Knoppix_OLD KNOPPIX_NEW and ..."?
    I have your script saved as "Knoppix_diferences.pl" in the same directory.
    Sould I add "#!/usr/bin/perl" at the very top of your script?
    How can I use this script. What should be the correct procedure?
    Thanks
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear about it! You are getting there but just need a couple more things.
    First, you need to make the script I provided executable (chmod +x Knoppix_differences.pl) or else you will need to run it as "perl Knoppix_differences.pl". If you make it executable, you will need to add the #!/usr/bin/perl to the first line of the script. I will assume you make it executable for the remaining instructions.
    Then you need to feed the diff between the files into the script. You could do "diff knoppix_old knoppix_new | ./Knoppix_differences.pl" or else you could do "diff knoppix_old knoppix_new > knoppix_differences.txt" and then "./Knoppix_differenes.pl knoppix_differences.txt". Either of these approaches will print out the information to the screen. If you want to save them into a file, just add "> knoppix_diff_results.txt" to the end of the command where you are running the perl script.
    I hope this is all clear and makes sense.

  8. #28
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    Thanks it works!

    bfree - Thanks for the prompt response.

    I was doing things the way you have described earlier, but it did not work. Therefore I have decided to erase everything and start from the begining and it works!
    Thanks so much.

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    alot burn progs complain about the size, you can find more by searching on this topic. imho the size should be a little bit decreased, so there will be less problems. but thats just me...

  10. #30
    First! Knoppix is the greatest! Thank you!
    Knoppix 3.3 (9/24/03) takes 2:20 minutes to boot on my 600 Mhz PC. However, starting with 3.3 (11/03/03) it takes 6:35 minutes to boot! It's the same with 3.3 (11/14/03). Is it only me or are others seeing this as well? Will it be faster in the future again? Can I type something at boot to make it faster?
    Thank you,
    Ralph

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 08:27 PM
  2. New Knoppix Release V3.3 2003-09-22
    By jaws75 in forum News
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 01:38 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:23 AM
  4. NEW RELEASE - KNOPPIX V3.2-2003-07-25
    By gjakuipers in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. 2003-01-01 Knoppix release
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99