Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: lilo.conf

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    lilo.conf

    When I boot from the CD I need the boot string:

    knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60

    how do I specify this boot sequence in lilo.conf?

    I replaced the first line of lilo.conf with vga=normal instead of vga=791 and I added knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 to the beginning of the append string. This does not get me 1024x768 res however!

    TIA,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Boot up with your cd and use the necessary "cheat-codes" to get X running as you want it, then mount your hd read/write and save the knoppix created /etc/X11/XFC86Config-4 file to your hd in etc/X11, then when you boot up your hd you will have the same XF86Config-4 file on your system as when you boot with the cd and proper cheat-codes.

    Note: many of the knoppix cheatcodes are for knoppix hardware detection and setup and are not kernel parameters so you can't pass them to the kernel with lilo.

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, Rock, that sounds doable.

    BTW, so I should remove what I added to the append string, right? Also, should I leave vga=normal on the first line of lilo.conf?

    EDIT: I'm having lots of problems with CUPS on my hdinstalled PCs using localhost:631. I have no problem configuring printers when running off the CD. Could something similar be done as you suggest above? IE: could I copy /etc/cups/cups.conf (or some other file?) that is configured correctly by the CD to my hdinstall?

    Thanx!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, Rock, as usual, your advice is rock solid! I got my video on my hdinstall back to what it was with the CD boot.

    All I had to do was mount hda7 and make it rw from the desktop. Then in a root shell I cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda7/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and reboot without the CD. Viola, ca c'est fini!

    I'm teaching my students about java applets. Now I have an applet running on my home PC with width=600 and height=600 and I can see the whole thing in one Knoqueror window. My Dell at home has screen=1280x1024. At school, before I copied the KNOPPIX adjusted XF86Config-4 file, my students could not see much of the applet running by default 800x600 or less (I'm not sure). The Dells at school should default to 800x600 according to the manual, but it looks even smaller. At least now, at 1024x768, they see most of the applet. BTW: the applet in question is at http://calcpage.tripod.com/applets/drunk

    Thanx!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Almost looks like you're playing Go, which I suppose makes sense, given your chess avatar.

    JD

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well, actually, its a random walk in 2D (hence the name drunk).

    BTW, anyone with experience with applets now if there's some way to see the drunk as he walks instead of the whole plot once the walk is done?

    Regards.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    leave the vga=normal line
    and remove your changes to the append line

    easy way to set up (configure) X, huh!

    ~rock

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, good, that's what I did! Thanx.

    BTW, what about configuring printers this way....

    Regards,

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Question

    What kind secrets in the lilo.conf?

    If we try to open etc/lilo.conf we can see there....bla-bla
    go further to the end of lilo.conf
    Label=Linux
    something here
    label=LinuxOLD
    something here too
    and in my lilo.conf...I have
    Label=WinNT(hda1)

    So, why on the lilo menu screen after reboot only:
    Linux
    WinNT(hda1)

    Where LinuxOLD gone?

    Now, try to rename label=Linux to Label=Knoppix or whatever you like...
    run /sbin/lilo
    and reboot
    AND AGAIN lilo menu with
    Linux
    WintNT(hda1)

    But where label Knoppix gone?
    I am stuck with kernel compiling, I cant see another choices in Lilo menu
    ( I been trying add lines Linux-2.6-test), but the comp starts with choices:

    Linux
    WinNT(hda1)
    What I need to do to see whole menu with choices?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Lilo will ignore anything that gives errors in the partition setup, that's why linux-Old is ignored.

    Post your lilo.conf file and partition information so we can try to help.

    ~rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. can't edit lilo.conf
    By totenengle in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 03:39 AM
  3. Lilo.conf questions
    By *ix Newbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 05:06 PM
  4. Different LILO.conf during remastering
    By greenbridge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 08:51 PM
  5. lilo.conf qeustion
    By mordor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Dell Memory Module - 64GB - DDR5 - CAMM RAM - 5600MHz 16GX8 picture

Dell Memory Module - 64GB - DDR5 - CAMM RAM - 5600MHz 16GX8

$599.98



64GB (32GBx2) 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG RDIMM HMA84GR7DJR4N-XN picture

64GB (32GBx2) 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG RDIMM HMA84GR7DJR4N-XN

$560.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50