Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: USB Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    USB Question

    Hi,

    I'm really new to Linux OS and have a question about USB. How can I browse a USB device in Knoppix (or any other distro)?

    I have a PDA (IPAQ 3950 w/PocketPC 2002). I really don't want to synch anything. I would just like to browse the storage on the device and have the ability to transfer mp3's and pdf's from Linux over to the PDA.

    What steps are needed to do this?

    Thanks Much,
    Brian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: USB Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bpeasey
    Hi,

    I'm really new to Linux OS and have a question about USB. How can I browse a USB device in Knoppix (or any other distro)?

    I have a PDA (IPAQ 3950 w/PocketPC 2002). I really don't want to synch anything. I would just like to browse the storage on the device and have the ability to transfer mp3's and pdf's from Linux over to the PDA.

    What steps are needed to do this?

    Thanks Much,
    Brian
    KNOPPIX is supposed to install and mount the USB storage automatically at boot up. So it should be just another icon on the desktop.

    For generic procedure :

    plug the usb device in and if you have the hotplug package installed, it would 'map' to a new device node, usually /dev/sda. Then you just 'mount /dev/sda your_mount_point' and after that, you can use it as it is all under your_mount_point/.

    There is some package(is it supermount?) that automatically handles all these stuff but I haven't tried it as I have been getting used to the command line method.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Gary

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Espaņa
    Posts
    4
    Other way is to have plugged the PDA while knoppix is being installed. Before this it will be automaticlly configured

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hi again,

    No luck yet getting my PDA connected. When I boot with my PDA in the cradle it doesn't show up on the desktop. But on another USB device (Digital camera) does show up on the desktop as sda1.

    In KDE's 'Info Center' under USB both devices are listed under UHCI Root Hub (1). So at some level the OS can see the PDA

    I tried looking for another eg. sda2 but they are all 0 bytes and "not a valid block device" when I try to mount.

    Any suggestion appreciated.

    Thanks again,
    Brian

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by bpeasey
    Hi again,

    No luck yet getting my PDA connected. When I boot with my PDA in the cradle it doesn't show up on the desktop. But on another USB device (Digital camera) does show up on the desktop as sda1.

    In KDE's 'Info Center' under USB both devices are listed under UHCI Root Hub (1). So at some level the OS can see the PDA

    I tried looking for another eg. sda2 but they are all 0 bytes and "not a valid block device" when I try to mount.

    Any suggestion appreciated.

    Thanks again,
    Brian
    Pull the PDA(while the system has been booted, i.e. you are at the desktop or better yet open a xterm console) and plug it in again.

    Then do a 'dmesg' at the xterm console. Post the last couple of lines of messages, if the system knows how to handle it, it would show something like /dev/sda etc. Otherwise, it means the system doesn't know how to handle it and YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. USB support under linux still has much to be desired but it is getting better and better, say 2.4.22 is much better than 2.4.20 about 6 months ago.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    39

    USB Pen drive

    I have a similar question. I have a USB pen drive and when I plugged it in, an automated process came up wich I followed by entering my root password and it installed the flash "driver."

    I can't "find" the drive so that it could be mounted on the KDE desktop. I booted the machine with it in and then went to Desktop settings and showing this type of device as either mounted or unmounted was not an option among the other storage possibilities.

    Help.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hi Gary,

    Otherwise, it means the system doesn't know how to handle it and YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. USB support under linux still has much to be desired but it is getting better and better, say 2.4.22 is much better than 2.4.20 about 6 months ago.
    I'm 'Out of luck'. No problem though, I understand what you say about USB and Linux. I'll continue learning what I can about the O/S.

    Thanks for you help

    Brian

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    39
    Suddenly, as om my last boot, my pen drive magically appeard as a mounted drive in the mnt subdirectory. Go Figure.
    Brian H

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8
    I had the same problem. What I did was install 'usbmgr'. What this did was remove hotplug, and installed usbmgr. After that I was able to use and configure my USB devices.

    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
  2. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99