Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: windows and linux

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20

    windows and linux

    is there any way to install knoppix and still keep windows xp , like choose which one you wanna boot off of when u turn on the computer?
    thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20
    also, it doesnt use my modem right. it doesnt even dial, it always comes up with this dumb thing like its busy or it cant find it. I have a conexant 56k modem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    You can dual boot with knoppix on the cd, with the knoppix cd copied to a fat 32 partition of around 700mb on the HD, or with knoppix installed to the HD (you would need to free up 3 gigs or more of HD space). Which do you want to do?
    If that's a winmodem, you will need the drivers from linuxant.com to make it work.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    39
    I am running Knoppix from one of my hard drives and I have W2K on another (dual boots W95 or W2K). I used Partition Magic from windows to create a linux partition on the spare drive although you could create a partition for it on the same drive as the W2K drive. Since I have two drives, I created a 512 MB linux swap partion on my W2K drive with partition magic as well. You don't need partition magic to do so, but it makes the whole process a lot less intimidating for us windows users.

    I then booted Knoppix from cd, went into root and followed the simple directions to install it. I forget the command but I can send you the URL for a nice page that gives the process for installing Knoppix on your drive. I don't have it with me currently. Just e-mail me at [email protected] so that when I get home, it will remind me.

    I also don't have lilo loaded into the MBR (master boot record) but I use Partition Magic's Boot Magic (comes with partition magic) to dual boot the system. Again, it has a more familiar interface in windows. The last thing I wanted to do was to disable my system so that it didn't boot into anything.


    It works great, and I do like Knoppix for web browsing and e-mail and such. I am still unable to install additional programs for it... as I have not figured that out yet. I did the whole shell/super user/ password thing and it still denies my access to installing files.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    With qtparted, you can resize your XP partition (fat32, maybe not ntfs?) to make room for an hdinstall of KNOPPIX using knoppix-installer and lilo. I setup my LAN at school for my computer science students this way and its great!

    Good Luck,

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Machine Name = what in linux?
    By brianp in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 04:07 AM
  2. Linux on windows
    By adamherb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 09:56 PM
  3. Linux and Windows
    By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM
  4. Windows GUI on Linux is possible!
    By Hunkah in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 08:02 AM
  5. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Samsung 128GB (4X32GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4 UDIMM Memory Ram M378A4G43AB2 DESKTOP picture

Samsung 128GB (4X32GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4 UDIMM Memory Ram M378A4G43AB2 DESKTOP

$800.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$260.00



64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$280.00